Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hey, so I like writing. I need ideas.  (Read 1902 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Hey, so I like writing. I need ideas.
« on: June 21, 2012, 07:29:50 pm »

Hey folks. I like writing, but I don't have any ideas. I figure, before I try to write professionally, I better improve my skills. So, this thread is for me to ask you for ideas. I'm thinking 5-20 pages. Maybe a week or two between submissions.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:00:19 pm by Spinal_Taper »

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, so I like writing. I need ideas.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 07:54:13 pm »

A page or less? Isn't that only ~1500 words?

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 07:59:07 pm »

A page or less? Isn't that only ~1500 words?
Touche. Increasing amount.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 08:20:04 pm »

do you mean for the posters to write 5-20 pages, or for us to give you small ideas for you to write out as short stories?
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:55:51 pm »

You give me small ideas, I work them into stories.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:34:41 am »

Cheers, man! Hi-five! I have so been there (except I provided examples of my writing and gave more strict guidelines)!

Anyway, I've been thinking about creating a thread specifically for generating idea(s), and I might even create it, and I might even create it soon, like today. So, I guess if you're interested in working out ideas with other people, keep on lookout.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:48:55 am »

If you're gonna be a writer, you need to learn to form your own ideas. Take inspiration from anything.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 12:44:50 pm »

Whenever you get a really wierd thought, one that you would probably ignore, think if it was a relevant, useful thought. Imagine what that would require, I get a lot of ideas from that at least.
What if laptop batteries could be used to cast spell when you speak to it in gibberish?
You could write a story about that, and it would certainly improve your writing skills, though it wouldn't be usable as a viable idea for an audience, but it sounds fun to me.
If you plan to write creatively, then you can write anything, stupid ideas are no less viable as a writing exercise than a great idea.

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 06:36:59 am »

I have about a million ideas - roughly, I didn't count them - but I am too lazy to write anything.

As a wannabe writer, ideas shouldn't be what's holding you back.

If you're really having trouble coming up with them on your own there's a service you can subscribe to in Poughkeepsie that'll keep you supplied, or find someone prepared to sell you one of Edgar Wallace's plot wheels. Don't bother even looking for one of the Chinese knock-offs, spend the money and get an original.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 06:44:54 am »

Oh god, I have so many ideas and no time to write them. I could flood you with ideas.

How about...

What happens to dreams when you wake up? You build entire worlds in your sleep, but then you wake up and go about your day. Who comes along and cleans up those worlds? Write a story about one of the dream demolition crew who move through the world of dreams and clean up the mess we leave behind. In a normal day's work they have to battle the horrors of nightmares, demolish beautiful vistas, and sometimes dismantle entire empires. If they don't, dreams will start bleeding through as the world of dreams begins to fill up with stray thoughts and things escape from one dream to another.

To the people in these dreams, they would be the ultimate evil... the Great Destroyers... but to the crew its just a job which must be done. They hunt down dream monsters that flee from one dream into another, sometimes into a dream that is still being dreamed! They have to maintain the balance and keep the waking world ignorant of these things.

Sometimes a monster can make its way through a dream and into a waking mind, causing all sorts of havoc as the person goes mad.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 07:02:50 pm »

Did I kill the thread?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:20:14 pm »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch