Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wall not being Built....  (Read 4227 times)

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wall not being Built....
« on: June 28, 2012, 09:15:41 am »

So I'm trying to construct buildings rather than building everything underground, and I'm starting with an aboveground kitchen/dining room (eventually it'll all be connected to one large building, but for now I'm focusing on the kitchen) Primarily because of the miasma that's been occurring in my underground dining room.
Anyway, there are two sections of wall that have been unbuilt for like 10 minutes, no one is building them. any idea why?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Wall not being Built....
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 09:18:29 am »

So I'm trying to construct buildings rather than building everything underground, and I'm starting with an aboveground kitchen/dining room (eventually it'll all be connected to one large building, but for now I'm focusing on the kitchen) Primarily because of the miasma that's been occurring in my underground dining room.
Anyway, there are two sections of wall that have been unbuilt for like 10 minutes, no one is building them. any idea why?
Check if they're suspended. Hit q and move the cursor over the wall locations. Another dorf may have been standing there when they tried to build it so they suspended it. Also check your announcements for a suspension announcement by hitting a

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:21:39 am »

Since last patch this happens a lot because the mason tend to stand on the tile itself and declare that he is blocking the site. I am having trouble building an evil cloud seal myself because the mason is unable to find a good position to build from.

If you're a still stuck perhaps limit movements with other walls around the site, then deconstructing the extra will help.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:55:07 am »

I found that if you have a wall section they want to stand on, finish the surrounding walls, cancel that (failing) designation and reissue the order for the wall.  That usually (sometimes, depending on wall configuration) works.  The other option is to remove the constructed wall either to the west or the south, build the troublesome wall (as above, cancel and reissue) then replace the wall you tore down.  These have worked the best to solve the "cancels construction because he's dumb enough to be standing on what he's trying to build".

Personally, I like the idea of him being now on top of the wall if he does that, but I'm not Toady (obviously) and it would cause other fun by doing so (depending on where the wall was located).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 01:04:20 pm »

Check to see if the item being used to build the wall is accessible to dwarves.  If an item is outside a burrow or outside, dwarves won't be able to construct the wall.  Try canceling the wall designation and reassigning another (accessible) item for the wall.