Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpile behavior I did NOT expect - Dwarf moves items between stockpiles  (Read 785 times)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

34.11.  I have 3 custom Finished Goods stockpiles near my clothier.  One accepts armor, one leggings, one footware.  Each has 0 bins allowed, is linked to the clothier and is set to accept from links only.  I had made three sets of shirts, trousers and shoes which were arranged neatly in those three stockpiles.  I stopped making clothes.

Later, I go upstairs near my trade depot and make a stockpile that takes all three clothing types, armor, leggings, and footware.  This stockpile is smaller but it allows bins.  It is not linked to anything and accepts items from anywhere.  For what it's worth, although I don't think it's relevant, this stockpile is farther from my clothier than the first three.

What I expected to happen, and what I have seen in other forts, is that new clothing would end up in the 3 stockpiles near my clothier and worn, discarded clothing (once the owner tag disapates) would be moved to the stockpile near my trade depot.

What happened?  Shortly after building my first bins, a dwarf took a bin downstairs, picked up all the items in the first three stockpiles and moved them upstairs to the stockpile near the depot.

I have never before seen a dwarf remove an item from a stockpile and move it to another stockpile unless the stockpiles were linked.  Has anyone else seen this before?

Edit:  Reloaded a save just to watch it happen.  I will say this, when the new hauling works it's damn efficient.  They grabbed those 16 pieces of clothing in 2 trips.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:11:49 pm by Finn »
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

If I had to guess, either the clothes in the bin no longer qualified for the stockpile they were in, or some clothes that were better suited to the second stockpile wound up in the bin.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I had to guess, either the clothes in the bin no longer qualified for the stockpile they were in, or some clothes that were better suited to the second stockpile wound up in the bin.

It must be something like that.  Once the clothes downstairs are put in a bin they can no longer be stored downstairs, I can see that logic.  I guess what I didn't expect is that a dwarf would take the bin from the upstairs stockpile, walk downstairs and fill it with items already sitting in another stockpile. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:25:55 pm by Finn »
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems to be hit/miss as to whether a stockpile with no links will or will not pull from other stockpiles or workshops.

I believe it's a distance issue, but I'm not sure.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its the bins.  Dwarfs prefer to store items in containers, and will take items out of an existing stockpile to do so.  If you want to stop it from happening, use two stockpiles.  Set the first to take from anywhere, and have no bins.  Set the second to only take from the first and allow bins.

I see this a lot in new forts.  Instead of reserving barrels I use barrel-less food stockpiles.  If I make a new stockpile and forget to set it to 0 barrels, they'll pull food out of existing stockpiles until its full or out of barrels.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its the bins.  Dwarfs prefer to store items in containers, and will take items out of an existing stockpile to do so.  If you want to stop it from happening, use two stockpiles.  Set the first to take from anywhere, and have no bins.  Set the second to only take from the first and allow bins.

I see this a lot in new forts.  Instead of reserving barrels I use barrel-less food stockpiles.  If I make a new stockpile and forget to set it to 0 barrels, they'll pull food out of existing stockpiles until its full or out of barrels.

That must be it, that's exactly what I'm seeing.  Thanks for the workaround.