Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tame small land animal  (Read 657 times)

Skullkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tame small land animal
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:24:53 pm »

Hi, could'nt find help in the existing posts... I have captured a gazillion hamsters and two legged rhino lizards and am trying to tame them at the kennel but it keeps telling me I need a small animal item. What should I do ?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Tame small land animal
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:37:35 pm »

I'm sorry, I don't know, but I want to ask in return "why would you want to?"

Just out of curiosity.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 03:41:16 pm »

they are tamed using the same workflow as large animals now...
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Skullkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 03:47:26 pm »

Well, because I asked my butcher to trap live land animals and all he got me is this bunch of useless little living things... Otherwise, how can I release them from the traps (and hopefully get stumped on by my dwarves on their way out) ?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 03:51:08 pm »

As long as you have some animal cages you should be able to free them. I did it some time ago, but have to admit, no clue how anymore.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Skullkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 04:02:27 pm »

I would know how to free them as well if they were in cages but they are in traps right now

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 04:36:14 pm »

IIRC you can assign them to a built cage, if they're currently in your animal stockpile in their traps.

Good luck letting them roam completely free from the cages though, haven't figured that out yet myself.

The official reason for taming small animals is for pets for dwarves/animals for a zoo, or for trade to caravans, I presume

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 07:03:46 pm »

I tried to free small vermin animals from cages a couple of times when I didn't have any animal traps. This is a bad mistake because you get spammed with a message that I forgot the exact wording of.

If the vermin animals are in cages, it's pretty easy to build the cage somewhere outside your walls, and then connect it to a lever, pull the lever, and the vermin gets out and later disappears.

Or if you have animal traps, you can build the cage, and then using "q" to assign animals to the cage, unassign the vermin. Don't do this if you don't have animal traps or you will get spammed!

I don't see much point in training vermin. Some dwarfs might be unhappy about seeing vermin, so it would be better that the vermin aren't around so they can't see them. Also if vermin take up processing power, you would be better off with a pig, dog, or bear, which is a much more useful animal to have around. May as well spend your FPS on something useful.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:11:23 pm »

I build a cage, assign all the vermin to the cage, then when the elves come, I deconstruct the cage and sell it to them. I particularly like to exchange a lead cage full of wild hamsters for a tame grizzly bear or something.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:15:55 pm »

I don't see much point in training vermin. Some dwarfs might be unhappy about seeing vermin, so it would be better that the vermin aren't around so they can't see them. Also if vermin take up processing power, you would be better off with a pig, dog, or bear, which is a much more useful animal to have around. May as well spend your FPS on something useful.

Not all vermin are hateable.