Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Convection Schmection- Magma and Glaciers  (Read 1347 times)

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
Convection Schmection- Magma and Glaciers
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:42:24 pm »

So, just for an ultra-dorfy fun time, I am currently engaged in a fun-filled day of building a fort in a glacier. Above ground.

The only things below ground are the mines, tree farm, and farms. I embarked next to a volcano, so I've channeled magma to the point where my forges are now three z levels above the glacial surface with their magma supply being pulled up by a pump stack.

Sadly, I've run into a bit of a difficulty; even if an inside area is completely enclosed, it still counts as "outdoors". Meaning I've lost several dorfs that haven't gone underground for a while to, well, freezing and exposure. Despite being in a completely enclosed fortress.

I'm not precisely sure how exposure works in DF, so I was wondering if I could like, build in-floor heat with the magma in a meeting chamber on each level of my above ground fort to warm up my chilly dorfs and prevent their demise. Convection doesn't really happen, but stone does get warm next to magma, so maybe that would keep them toasty enough to survive the artic winters...

Thoughts?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Convection Schmection- Magma and Glaciers
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 07:09:16 pm »

Tiles with magma beneath them are a toasty 10075U. It should work.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:21:29 pm »

Or better yet, tiles with magma ABOVE them.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 08:25:02 pm »

Actually right now my fortress is seven layers high, four of which are full of magma. I'm alternating filled floors with productive ones, and come winter hopefully my dwarves will be nice and warm in their sandwich abode of doom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 04:12:19 am »

Giving your Dwarf homes roofs helps. While it doesn't stop it from being treated as an above ground tile, it'll raise the temperature a bit and keep your Dwarves protected from blizzards.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 07:03:49 am »

Actually right now my fortress is seven layers high, four of which are full of magma. I'm alternating filled floors with productive ones, and come winter hopefully my dwarves will be nice and warm in their sandwich abode of doom.

Seems pretty dwarfy to me. I'm curious as to whether it works, and what the layout is. Getting any more deaths?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 07:30:48 am »

Are you using custom parameters? Because in my glacier forts nobody ever dies due to freezing temperatures  :'(
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 03:25:39 pm »

Are you using custom parameters? Because in my glacier forts nobody ever dies due to freezing temperatures  :'(

This has also been my experience.

How did you get a volcano on a glacier anyway?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 06:23:23 pm »

In my experience magma needs to be kept moving to keep heating. The first iteration of my freezing trap would have the magma keeping the water from freezing slowly stop doing it's job. To solve this I had to pump it around in a circle. I'm not sure if this will apply to heating dwarves.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands