Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building walls, Micromanaging nightmare  (Read 2719 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building walls, Micromanaging nightmare
« on: June 25, 2012, 05:40:50 pm »

So i'm tryign to build an overground wall system that will funnel low threat enemies into a trap corridor and the problem is the construction is being halted a few blocks into teh process because the agent constructing it is standing in the footprint of the wall. This results in me having to cancel the building and then redo each wall segment manually. This can't be an intended design feature of Drawf Fortress as i've seen massive overground structures from other players and it's impossible to believe people are building these 1 grid unit at a time.

In addition once cancelled my drawf will come back and try to re-establish construction only to stand in the walls future position and halt it again.

Can anybody advise?

Edit

just checked teh wiki which makes this worse  "When choosing a place to stand while building a wall, dwarves will avoid standing on designated building sites. " 

This is the exact problem i'm having and so the wiki does not seem to be providing accurate information.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:45:15 pm by Rafe »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building walls, Micromanaging nightmare
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 06:43:17 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5991

The only workaround I know is to completely cancel the construction and request a new, identical one in the same spot.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 06:45:49 pm »

Is there a floor or stairs behind the wall for them to stand on? If you just build a wall without worrying about the floor, you can get dwarfs stuck on the wall, and they will die if you don't notice.

If the problem is just a few squares of wall that they can't build due to them standing on it while trying to build it, then as said above, cancel the construction of those squares and build new walls there, this will fix it.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 06:48:19 pm »

Is there a floor or stairs behind the wall for them to stand on? If you just build a wall without worrying about the floor, you can get dwarfs stuck on the wall, and they will die if you don't notice.

If the problem is just a few squares of wall that they can't build due to them standing on it while trying to build it, then as said above, cancel the construction of those squares and build new walls there, this will fix it.

Yes i'm building it outside so there is plenty of clearance all around. The terrain is very flat.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5991

The only workaround I know is to completely cancel the construction and request a new, identical one in the same spot.

Well atleast it doesn't seeem to be an error on my part. Thanks.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:01:54 pm »

The DF .34.11 has issues with walls. You could build a single wall in the middle of an open and clear field and the dwarf with the wall build job might suspend the build because he/she is standing in the spot to be built upon.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:08:39 pm »

The DF .34.11 has issues with walls. You could build a single wall in the middle of an open and clear field and the dwarf with the wall build job might suspend the build because he/she is standing in the spot to be built upon.

Yep I've seen that. I fixed it by deleting the unbuilt wall, and building a new chunk of wall there.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:46:33 pm »

I'm using 34.11 and I just build an aboveground compound with walls, so it must be an uncommon bug.

When building in DF, it helps to know which direction dwarves prefer to move in. It can be a little random at times, but it's usually pretty reliable.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 12:02:11 am »

When building in DF, it helps to know which direction dwarves prefer to move in. It can be a little random at times, but it's usually pretty reliable.
Actually with the latest update they now build based on shortest distance (straight-line) rather then by some mystic formula. While this does make a lot of things work better, it is actually the cause of this new bug and at the moment doesn't really have much of a solid workaround other then just redesigning it IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:12:40 am »

Actually with the latest update they now build based on shortest distance (straight-line) rather then by some mystic formula. While this does make a lot of things work better, it is actually the cause of this new bug and at the moment doesn't really have much of a solid workaround other then just redesigning it IIRC.
It's not that bad. It only happened to me 2 or 3 times, and was easily fixed by deleting the suspended wall square and rebuilding it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 12:49:41 am »

Toady made changes to how dwarves decide where to stand when constructing recently, this seems to have caused this bug, hopefully it'll get fixed soonish.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 12:48:01 pm »

From what I've seen, they decide where to stand when the wall is designated to be built.  (Speculation.) So if the terrain changes along the way, they're more likely to screw up.