Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What's wrong in your fort?  (Read 5203 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong in your fort?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 03:19:56 pm »

5 year fort worth 500,000 dwarfbucks, 150 population, zero forgotten beasts, zero sieges, zero ambushes, zero titans. I abandoned out of sheer boredom. We had maybe five thieves.
So, what you are saying is you had zero reason to stay in that fort? :D

I tend to end up with forts like that. I made mods or embark preparations to give myself a bit more advantage, but always end up over-doing it and getting bored =/
Feeling down? Click Here!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »

Man I gotta figure out a way to read topics besides the fort part.... A few errant posts and I probably looked like a sober dwarf. Oh well.

So it seems I'm having charcoal issues. CURSE HUMANS AND THIER INABILITY TO MAKE USE OF MAGMA EASILY!!!

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 04:06:32 pm »

Right now im running my most successful fort yet...

Great food industry, plenty of meat both wild and domestic, good varity of booze. Got a CGS farm so lots of cloth, metal is abundant, defence is tight, dwarves are happy.

The only thing that has me worried is the bulidup of FBs in the cavern lake. They seem to be content just chilling in it. There are like 10 down there all within about 10 tiles from eachother. Like they are having a little FB party. I even made a place to trap them about 5 tiles away. stuck a puppy in there and opened it up but they still dont wanna budge. Im worried that once they have ammased a FB army they will all rush my entrance. One at a time they'd be managable but i dont think i could take them all at once...
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 04:18:21 pm »

FB army

Paraphrased as my mind heard it
FBs are throwing a little party for themselves.

What isn't awesome about these things?

kujpat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf in a +Red Dress+
    • View Profile
    • Some Guy Called Cody
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 05:14:26 pm »

Also my most successful fort yet, I have a booming metal industry, enough food and drink for 3 forts, and finally a working military, who have fought off a siege and 2 ambushes mostly unscathed.

However there is an underlying sadness in the fort. I first noticed it when a child tantrummed, and now I notice a lot of my military are unhappy (despite my waterfall in my main entrance)

I think my next step is to give everyone wonderful living quarters to try and prevent the impending tantrum spiral
You can now continue to scour the landscape, defile the depths of the earth, and ruthlessly murder the creatures of the world knowing you've done your part for the environment.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 06:10:08 pm »

1) 70-ish children out of 260+ dorfs. Cap was 200 but when I hit it I managed to atomsmash the liaison so more vagrants kept showing up at the gates. Dude where's my FPS?

2) Set up a winding carved minecart track down from the aboveground mines (up in a hillside) down to the magma pits... but either carved tracks just plain suck or carved ramps don't give speed boost at all so I have to keep dorfs guiding the carts, otherwise they stop a few levels down and some idiot dwarf will CARRY the cart the rest of the way. Guiding the cart is a bit faster than hauling them rock by rock... slightly. Maybe.

3) Too many dead wagons. I'll need to engrave memorials for them, most likely, so they won't rise up as ghosts.

4) Plantsplosions. I should stop farming entirely for a few years, probably, put all planters to army except for the legendary ones. Nowadays one barrel contains enough plants for a fort to eat for a month.

Mister Dirks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 07:34:26 pm »

I embarked on a desert volcano, hoping to make a beautiful aboveground glass city in the middle of nowhere. Clouds of blinding sand popped up like, every 40 seconds or so, and I settled on building a cavern-level fort (this has the same properties as a aboveground fort, just, you know, in the caverns.). All was going well, the first couple of years. I managed to get 30 dwarves (I suck at managing more than that) and sealed them from the Surface World, permanently (had a airlock-deal for caravans). I had a good section of the caverns walled off from all creepy crawlies, flying or no. I noticed that this cavern level was filled with plant and tree life. I only lost two dwarfs due to a giant bat getting locked in. All seemed peaceful.

Then, everything changed, when the Fire Gopher (FB) attacked.

It popped up at the western side of the cavern. I thought nothing of it, due to my fort being sealed off. The Elven traders that I had, I allowed to pass through an airlock-system to the Wilds in the cavern. They ran right into the Gopher's path. It blew flames in what seemed like all directions. The elves didn't stand a chance. I thought it was over. Then, the flames spread, and Dear God, all of the plantlife in the entire cavern was extinguished in a matter of minutes. And that damn gopher survived.

Now, I am trying to figure out a way to deal with Mr. Gopher, and seek out revenge. Wish me luck. ^_^
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:36:04 pm by Mister Dirks »
Every village = Farm plots
Vegetables grow and wither...
Thats about 100 tiles of dead food...

NECROMANCY, RAISE THE VEGETABLES!
WE WILL RULE THE WORLD THROUGH HEALTHY GOODNESS!!

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2012, 07:43:42 pm »

What (was) wrong in my fort:

A stairwell that pierced the caverns went unsealed and unnoticed. Somebody forgot there was a web-slinging Pterodactyl down there.

It might not have been so annoying when it finally struck if it had actually gotten some of the children. Crazy-fecund dwarves would have pushed the fort's pop over 300 if it had lasted.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: 1 2 [3]