Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding queries  (Read 879 times)

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Modding queries
« on: October 13, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

Been loving the game, but now I'm getting into modding it and I've got a few questions which I couldn't find the answers for in the Wiki.

Firstly, graphics. I've been getting used to using Dystopian Rhetoric's object tileset and want to be able to add things to it properly if I'm adding in new creatures. So far all I've done is add in new pets and so on, just small things like that...but if I'm wanting to add in a new civilization (playable, unplayable, nuisance or whatever), if I add in certain tags what graphics would I need? I'm assuming for instance that if I add [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] then I need to add in pics for the civilian professions, and if I add [NUISANCE] then I need to add in pics for thieves. Could someone give a full list along those lines please?

Secondly, if I give all civs tags like [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] and [NUISANCE], will it just randomly select one to fill each role or how does that work? Along similar lines, in the case of multiple civs having [NUISANCE] would that result in several different races sending thieves to steal from me or does it just pick one that I get all the time?

Thirdly, I read that you can give civs multiple creature tags, but when I tried this before with a civ of dwarves and elves, every game I started would just give me elves and never dwarves. Is this just bad luck on my part or does it just take the first [CREATURE:whatever] tag it finds in the entity and use it, ignoring the other(s)?

There may well be more questions, but those are the ones I can think of at the minute  :D

Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Modding queries
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

I don't know anything about modding the graphic packs, but I do know they come in two sets: standard tilesets which replace the faux-ascii art with other ones and graphics tilesets which replace your creatures and units.

CIV_CONTROLLABLE is not the opposite of NUISANCE. The four basic civ types and behaviors are AMBUSH, NUISANCE, SIEGER (standard) and BABYSNATCHER; all CIV_CONTROLLABLE does is make the civ playable during fortress games. The four civtypes determine 1. if it makes cities, or 2. if it makes hidden "cave" cities, in the case of nuisance. Your best bet is to just try it! Make only one civ CIV_CONTROLLABLE and set it to Nuisance rather than Sieger and see what happens when you try to play a DF game. I am moderately certain the four civtypes don't affect your OWN fortress at all.

As for the creature tags, I have never seen evidence that it actually uses multiple entries.. it might generate different creatures in a town that has multiple ones but I have never seen it happen in fortress mode.

Modding is fun! Just play around and if it breaks, restore your backup and try again. If you find out something fun and new (what happens if you turn on multiple settlements? what happens if you use multiple digger entries?) you can add it to the wiki.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 05:35:00 pm »

Is there a way to make a real time change to a object, and just that object, a potion that give you 4 arms and 3 extra livers or are all change pre-game time?
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 05:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheSpaceMan:
<STRONG>Is there a way to make a real time change to a object, and just that object, a potion that give you 4 arms and 3 extra livers or are all change pre-game time?</STRONG>

Nope. All data files are generated from the raw text on world creation. Change the text files and you have to make a new world. You could edit stuff using Cheat-O-Matic if you're brave enough to do so, but it's very easy to damage things beyond all repair and quite complicated to do.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 12:02:00 am »

quote:
I don't know anything about modding the graphic packs, but I do know they come in two sets: standard tilesets which replace the faux-ascii art with other ones and graphics tilesets which replace your creatures and units.

I was referring to the latter. The .bmp files in Dystopian Rhetoric's object tileset don't actually cover all 'jobs' for each creature - for instance, only dwarves have pictures for masons, carpenters and so on while there are no pics for dwarf thieves and things like that. These are presumably connected in some way to the tags like [CIV_CONTROLLABLE], and I was hoping someone could shed some light on which ones would mean I'd have to add in pics for this, that and the next thing  :)

quote:
CIV_CONTROLLABLE is not the opposite of NUISANCE.
I never said nor implied that it was  :DWARF] and in all of the three or four games I started, it was always the elves I was in control of. I was just wondering if it would have been possible for that entity to have dwarves and I was just rather unlucky in always getting elves or if it would always churn out elves no matter how many games I started.
3. They're Scottish.

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 12:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Teldin:
<STRONG>Nope. All data files are generated from the raw text on world creation. Change the text files and you have to make a new world.</STRONG>

This is not *completely* true.  For a counter-example, try making a world, saving, exiting DF, then changing humans to drop chainmails on death.  You can even save after killing and picking up your bloodmail and change it so they drop helmets instead, leading to the possibility of completely outfitting your adventurer in masterworked adamantine through the annihilation of a town or two (though with a hefty amount of micromanagement).  However, it is true that you can't do *realtime* changes to the raws (you have to save and exit DF, then restart DF for any changes to take place).  Also, I have no idea what this all works on (I only know that this works for the [ITEMCORPSE] tag; no idea what happens if you turn humans into quadruple-armed freaks and whatnot).

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 07:21:00 am »

Doesn't work, I added tusks to elephants and warthogs and it didn't work until I made a new world. But you can do things like making them kick stuff instead of punching it.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 07:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by pushy:
<STRONG>I never said nor implied that it was I was merely using those two as examples. I know that these two tags (along with a few others) affect civs' creation during world generation (like
Anyway, I semi-tested this. I added BABYSNATCHER and NUISANCE to all races and created a new world. Instead of the usual ~12,000 units generated, it only had 2,000-odd, and I think all races (or possibly just one, with all the others being ignored...I still don't know how this works) were set to NUISANCE, as none of their trade details were coming up when I went to start a new game.</STRONG>

Yeah. I believe the world builder will generate one mountain race, one forest race, one nuisance, one baby snatcher and three plains races (which by default are all humans obviously).

quote:
<STRONG>I was referring to the latter. The .bmp files in Dystopian Rhetoric's object tileset don't actually cover all 'jobs' for each creature - for instance, only dwarves have pictures for masons, carpenters and so on while there are no pics for dwarf thieves and things like that. These are presumably connected in some way to the tags like [CIV_CONTROLLABLE], and I was hoping someone could shed some light on which ones would mean I'd have to add in pics for this, that and the next thing</STRONG>

As far as I know, if a race has nuisance or baby snatcher, it'll need thieves and master thieves. If a civilization has plains, it'll need merchant guilders/barons/princes, diplomats, drunks and undead. Ones with forest just need diplomats. And mountain civilizations need outpost liasons and drunks.

There may be a few other things, but that's pretty much it I think.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 10:53:00 am »

:D
3. They're Scottish.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

I used multiple creature tags on one civ before.  It didn't work out how I wanted so I didn't do much with it.  But it seems that when it generates the clusters of cities it randomly determines what race inhabits each city. They even use different currency.  But they only have one capital.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »

EDIT: Never mind.

[ October 14, 2007: Message edited by: DR ]

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 12:37:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>  :D</STRONG>

That's hilarious.

Someone needs to make a thread devoted to funny stuff you discover while modding.

Edit: Is that an animal that's a carpenter or a carpenter turned into an animal?

[ October 14, 2007: Message edited by: Teldin ]

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

That's hilarious.

Someone needs to make a thread devoted to funny stuff you discover while modding.

Edit: Is that an animal that's a carpenter or a carpenter turned into an animal?

[ October 14, 2007: Message edited by: Teldin ]</STRONG>

I did this once. I wanted to make a playable race without the [CAN_SPEAK] tag.  It didn't work  :(

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

That's hilarious.

[ October 14, 2007: Message edited by: Teldin ]</STRONG>

It's a Kobold carpenter. I, uh, sort of forgot to edit creature_standard.txt when I edited entity_default.txt
3. They're Scottish.