Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact bucklers vs masterwork shields  (Read 850 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact bucklers vs masterwork shields
« on: June 23, 2012, 06:18:39 pm »

My dwarves have made two artifact adamantine bucklers.  Should I let my dwarves use them, or should I let them all have high quality steel shields?  As I understand it, the artifact buckler would deflect more often, but the shields would protect more of the arm.  I think shields are much more important for blocking than their passive protection, so the artifact buckler should be better.  What do you think?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact bucklers vs masterwork shields
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 06:25:16 pm »

I'd go with the bucklers, for the style points if nothing else.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 06:50:12 pm »

For protection, all shields are nearly the same, maybe better than bucklers, maybe not. However, shields are sometimes used as blunt weapons (Misc Object User), which makes steel a lot better than candy.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 12:12:23 am »

Actually if the wiki has it right then the steel shields will come out on top in both the deflection category and the coverage category. Shields naturally have a deflect chance of 20%, which multiplied by the masterwork quality is 2x20%=40% chance. The artifact bucklers on the other hand will have 3x10%=30% chance; 10% less then the steel shields. Add into this the fact that the shield protects more, and it has a heavier weight making it better for bashing, and you will find that the steel masterwork shields work much better then the adamantine bucklers.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.