Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast Web Farm Issue  (Read 486 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast Web Farm Issue
« on: June 23, 2012, 07:42:25 pm »

OK guys, there's a web-spitting forgotten beast in my basement (cavern layer 1) and I want to catch it, harvest its silk, and wear/sell some forgotten beast clothing.

I have a room, set up similar to the Wiki example of the GCS web farm. I have a small room where the spider sits for the FB, with an artifact throne for bait. A kitten is the (hopeful) web target.

The problem is, I have to catch the FB in its room with bridges, which will (as far as I know) block its pathing to the kitten, and cause it to fire webs on a semi-randomly basis. I can't use doors, because it is a building destroyer.

So, how do I keep the LOS/pathing for the FB, while still being able to catch it? What else can I use to make this thing work?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast Web Farm Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:55:18 pm »

You can use doors to briefly hold an FB in place. They'll stand two tiles away from the door to knock it down, and while they're going about that you can set your capture plan in motion. I collapsed the floor it was on into a small room made entirely of fortifications, but it was quite inefficient and wouldn't work on a flier.

Perhaps you could put a pair of raising bridges on either side of the tile the FB stands on, which would pin it in place permanently.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.