Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Storage for dwarves  (Read 623 times)

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
Storage for dwarves
« on: June 19, 2012, 06:48:10 am »

I've been milling over how much storage things to put in dwarf bedrooms, most fortresses by others i have seen have a cabin ate and a chest while some sort of documentation suggested two cabinets. I'm just wondering what is ideal, do dwarves acquire possessions that actually require chests/coffers?

Now that individual bedrooms make catching vampires trickier with dormitories preferred, I can't help thinking that being able to designate a room of cabinets as a locker room with dwarves capable of claiming them on their own like rooms would work well

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Storage for dwarves
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 06:56:25 am »

Chest are useless and typical bedroom designs have three-tile rooms, that's why the two-cabinet thing. I usually find that one is enough.
If you're really afraid of vamps and still want every dwarf to have personal place you can make a huge room, put a bed on every third tile and define 3*3 bedrooms with some funiture and no walls.

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:14:42 am »

aye thats what I'm considering for the future.
Relieved to hear the chests are un-nececery, i didn't fancy churning out 200 of those

Logic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:27:19 am »

Owning more/good furniture makes them happier, though.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 11:02:07 am »

Lately I've gotten all the more lazy and just set up dormitories. Some artifact furniture in the communal dining hall should keep them happy enough. And if you have aquifer that isn't too close to ground or wet cavern or other fun stuff then it's easy enough to set up a mist/lag generator with a water reactor, also doubling as shower.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:20:23 pm »

They used to use chests for crafts they had bought or gathered, in 40d.  With no economy now, they don't do that.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:58:00 pm »

I just add coffers to use up stone, add value and make Dwarves happier. Just imagine them as paperweights really.