Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tex Murphy: Project Fedora on Kickstarter  (Read 1079 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tex Murphy: Project Fedora on Kickstarter
« on: June 02, 2012, 01:31:36 am »

As a fan of the Tex Murphy series of the early-mid 90's (Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive, and Overseer), I've been waiting for this for quite a while. For those not in the know, the series was a set of fairly oddball and often humorous FMV/adventure games featuring a film noir style private detective in post-nuclear-war San Francisco.

Basically, Chris Jones and Aaron Conners have had "Project Fedora" — a proper continuation of the game series after the last game's cliffhanger — on the shelf for a long time, pending funding, and I haven't heard much about it for probably a few years now.

And now it's on Kickstarter... and doing pretty well!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/texmurphy/tex-murphy-project-fedora

It's about halfway to its deadline and has reached about three fourths of the goal. I don't have anything to donate right now, so all I can do is sit here and hope, I guess.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tex Murphy: Project Fedora on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 03:34:41 pm »

Update:

It's about 110% funded with about six and a half days left, but it needs more exposure and more backers to reach its stretch goals at 120% and 130%.

Come on, there's got to be some people here interested in the revival of a classic game series! These guys know what they're doing, and ought to be able to do it as best they can.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 04:53:38 pm »

They made the money? Hell yeah! I'm so looking forward to having another fun romp through the world of bad detective that is Tex Murphy.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 05:01:14 pm »

It's technically funded, but only 10% above the minimum!

Stretch goals:

If we exceed funding by 10% ($495,000+): Additional story (including puzzles, gameplay, locations and characters).

If we exceed funding by 20% ($540,000+): Port the game to additional platforms, provide Text translations for French, Italian, German, Spanish (English will already be included). Finally, more recognizable actors.

If we exceed funding by 30% ($585,000+): Another expansion of the story (including puzzles, gameplay, locations and characters), ingame golf game, and Live Orchestra for the games' music.

So another 10% or so will allow for additional platforms, subtitling for some languages (which means more people get to enjoy it), and more flexible casting.

Another 10% after that will allow for more characters and locations (including, according to Chris Jones, a "darker" section of the Chandler Avenue area), a golf minigame (the developers are well-known for their golf games and simulators), and live music (!!!).

With another decent push, and the banner ad campaign that'll be running this upcoming week, hopefully it'll make it all the way to 130% or more.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:32:03 pm by G-Flex »

morourist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 08:31:44 pm »

:)

This is awesome... Four more hours left

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 05:43:10 pm »

Yep, succeeded with just over 135% (including the PayPal total), exceeding all stretch goals. Yee-e-e-es.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 01:29:20 pm »

Wow, I played my old Under a killing moon a bit few months ago again, I'm definitely interested in this one.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:41:25 pm »

The others are on GOG. Most people consider Pandora Directive the best... it's definitely better in terms of production values. After playing that, it feels like for UAKM they weren't quite as sure what they were doing yet.