Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Military Training Thread  (Read 495 times)

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another Military Training Thread
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:51:50 pm »

Specifically geared around the use of teacher/student jobs. I am developing a military training strategy whereby my 'commander' has high capacities in student and training, embarks with points in these and 'leadership'. Any immigrant dwarves with high capacities for teacher (determined through the use of splinterz' DT branch), and a military skill rating (dodging, fighter...) higher than that of the commander, are immediately drafted into military service. Once skill levels balance out, the 'consultant' is removed from reserve forces and more suitable candidates are drafted.

Essentially, I'm building a champion in the conventional manner (no danger rooms, no prisoner beatings... yet...), focusing on training hard-to-raise 'teacher' skills, and passing on the knowledge. And while this plan is as yet in the first year, the strategy seems sound. Demonstrations are organized pretty rapidly (roughly a day) in my squad of two. The consultant is a novice dodger, while the commander sat at a paltry 99xp. The session took a few days (did not measure), and the commander gained 300xp as a result. That's more than halfway to levelup!

The second session (figures complicated by levelup), raised my commander 213xp, to 612, and was completed in 4 full days of training. Having had two training sessions back-to-back, levelup was achieved in a little over a week of training. Armour skill has made jumps of a similar scope.

There's a lot of factors here. To list 'a few':

• teacher skill
  • teacher capacity (factoring in traits and attributes)
  • student skill
  • student capacity (as above)
  • skill differential
  • student focus att.
  • student concentration skill
  • leadership abilities (does not appear to be needed by the consultant, but my commander has shown gains)

Further testing indicates that experience is aggregated over the duration of a training session - an interruption will not result in 'wasted time'.