Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fey Mood Farmer?  (Read 4564 times)

Phillammon

• Bay Watcher
  • Taunt ye not the artificer
    • View Profile
Fey Mood Farmer?
« on: June 12, 2012, 07:08:00 pm »

Newbie here. My second fort here, and I've got my first fey mood. Thing is, it's a farmer with no moodable skills, according to the wiki. Anyone know what's going on?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
Re: Fey Mood Farmer?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:09:52 pm »

Same way children can get moods - build him a craftsdwarf's workshop and he'll be fine.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:10:55 pm »

He won the mood lottery and got a mood.  There's nothing strange about it.   "Mood-able" skills are only for manipulating what the dwarf will create if it's hit with a mood, they don't determine who is and is not eligible to have a strange mood.  Dwarves with none of those skills will wind up becoming stone crafters, wood crafters, or bone carvers.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:11:59 pm »

Anyone can get moods regardless if they have experience in moodable skills or not.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:13:44 pm »

Note legendary wood crafters are one of the game's ways of giving you the finger.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 07:23:22 pm »

Not as much as possessed smiths, albeit in a more overt way.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Phillammon

• Bay Watcher
  • Taunt ye not the artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 07:26:47 pm »

Thanks! Unfortunately, by the time I set up a craftdwarf's workshop she was already melancholy, but thanks anyway. I'll bear it in mind in future!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 07:32:07 pm »

Not as much as possessed smiths, albeit in a more overt way.

Oh yes.  Though at least your artifact might not be a worthless piece of crap.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:08:57 pm »

Note legendary wood crafters are one of the game's ways of giving you the finger.
What are you talking about?  Woodcrafters are dwarves that so dislike the elves they go out of their way to make trade goods the elves would NEVER want to buy!

(Current fort has an aquifer that is annoying me, and may be two levels deep, so I've been forced to make wood crafts to ensure my dwarves don't starve/dehydrate.)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 08:23:58 pm »

Anyone can get moods regardless if they have experience in moodable skills or not.
Not true - dwarves with Military professions (other than Recruit) cannot enter moods, and neither can babies.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 08:52:11 pm »

Not true - dwarves with Military professions (other than Recruit) cannot enter moods, and neither can babies.

Do they have to be on-duty at the time of the mood selection? The feature you describe was from earlier versions where military dwarves wouldn't swap to their civilian profession in their downtime.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 09:13:49 pm »

Dwarves with a military profession other than "Recruit" can not enter moods. Incidental military skills make no difference -eligibility (and weighting) depends purely on the actual profession as listed at the time, so soldiers can enter moods if they are off duty and thus in Civilian mode. Babies may not enter moods.

From wiki
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 02:44:06 am »

Which means that only babies cannot enter mood for sure. Unless you keep your soldiers 100% busy all the time.

By the way woodcrafting and possessing artefacts can be good, if this is furniture. I was savescumming last time a "woodcrafter" (actually, dfhack reported is as woodcrafter, it was carpenter) child was possessed (half of artefacts in my 15 year old fortress is made by possessed dwarves) and he was making things like caskets, cages, hatches and the like, all of them usable perfectly fine. Real woodrcafter can make a nestbox - item good for trapping FBs.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:11:54 am by Saiko Kila »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 08:41:04 am »

Wood bolts ftw