Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to gen worlds with more iron?  (Read 4587 times)

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to gen worlds with more iron?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 03:08:37 pm »

Very good point! Same procedure as for iron, but you look in inorganic_stone_gem.txt

And tag is different:
Code: [Select]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:stone:type:freq]where stone is specific stone id.
Example:
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:DOLOMITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:KIMBERLITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
etc.

but I'm not 100% sure is that tag still working for metal ore's, I think it should.

If you're still referring to finding iron, it should work just fine with ENVIRONMENT_SPEC, if you take a look at malachite in inorganic_stone_mineral for example:

[INORGANIC:MALACHITE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:malachite][DISPLAY_COLOR:2:7:0][TILE:255]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:LIMESTONE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:MARBLE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:COPPER:100]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[IS_STONE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:3800]
[MELTING_POINT:10295]
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 03:24:51 pm »

Very good point! Same procedure as for iron, but you look in inorganic_stone_gem.txt

And tag is different:
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:stone:type:freq]where stone is specific stone id.
Example:
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:DOLOMITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:KIMBERLITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
etc.

but I'm not 100% sure is that tag still working for metal ore's, I think it should.

The only difference between metal ores and other rocks is the METAL_ORE:(metal):(percentage) tag.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 03:16:02 pm »

I just want to point out once again that mineral scarcity settings do not influence flux, despite the conclusions reached and widely spread by some. Volcanism influences the prevalence of flux, though. Except for marble, flux is sedimentary, and will not appear in high volcanism areas. Go ahead and set your mineral scarcity to 100 and enjoy your embark full of iron AND flux. Just don't decide you want to embark on a volcano, set volcanism to max, and then conclude that, because you can't find any flux, it must be the mineral settings.

Science has been done on this. MINERAL SCARCITY DOES NOT INFLUENCE FLUX. If anyone thinks the science is in error, do your own and show us the results.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 03:20:38 pm »

Another easy way to raise the amount of iron (specifically) that you get is to make a few more iron ores.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 04:04:12 pm »

I just want to point out once again that mineral scarcity settings do not influence flux, despite the conclusions reached and widely spread by some. Volcanism influences the prevalence of flux, though. Except for marble, flux is sedimentary, and will not appear in high volcanism areas. Go ahead and set your mineral scarcity to 100 and enjoy your embark full of iron AND flux. Just don't decide you want to embark on a volcano, set volcanism to max, and then conclude that, because you can't find any flux, it must be the mineral settings.

Science has been done on this. MINERAL SCARCITY DOES NOT INFLUENCE FLUX. If anyone thinks the science is in error, do your own and show us the results.
There's actually a much simpler reason: all flux stones are layer stones, and layer stones are placed before minerals, so it's impossible for high mineral levels to prevent flux from appearing because it was already there before the minerals were added...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 05:18:46 pm »

Firstly you should increase mineral abundance. This is done in Advanced worldgen by setting a very low number for "mineral scarcity", generally 100.

You then either need to embark on a region with igneous extrusive layers, as those will have a lot of haematite, or embark on a region with a lot of sedimentary layers. Sedimentary layers require volcanism between 0 and 20. The lower (closer to 0) the volcanism, the more sedimentary layers you will get. This means you either need to embark on an area with very high or very low volcanism.

You can also mod in more iron generating ores.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:15 pm »

As long as we're on (or close to) the subject of the mineral scarcity setting, what does it actually do? I mean, is setting it absurdly low more likely to
A: Increase the amounts of certain minerals on a given embark site ("Well, DFProspect reveals 19.6 metric fucktons of copper"), or
B: Increase the number and distribution of certain minerals per embark site ("Let's see, there's a fair amount of irons, some tetrahedrite and galena over here, one small gold vein near the brook, a little native aluminum, and a bit of zinc. And hey, marble!")?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 12:15:28 pm »

Firstly you should increase mineral abundance. This is done in Advanced worldgen by setting a very low number for "mineral scarcity", generally 100.

You then either need to embark on a region with igneous extrusive layers, as those will have a lot of haematite, or embark on a region with a lot of sedimentary layers. Sedimentary layers require volcanism between 0 and 20. The lower (closer to 0) the volcanism, the more sedimentary layers you will get. This means you either need to embark on an area with very high or very low volcanism.

I tried doing both of these but my game fails to gen worlds. It cycles through about 500 before crashing. What is the easiest way to get iron, because advanced world gen is largely incomprehensible to me. Seriously I've gone through 10 worlds and embarks without having any iron.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 07:56:43 pm »

Would you mind running me through an example of how to do this? I've posted about this on the modding forum (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111468.0), but someone there said it's impossible =(
Feeling down? Click Here!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 07:59:23 pm »

Would you mind running me through an example of how to do this? I've posted about this on the modding forum (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111468.0), but someone there said it's impossible =(

You worded it wrong. Modding in more ores is not modding in more things to appear on embark.

Basically, copy hematite, name it to something else (like "siderite" and put it in IGNEOUS_ALL, METAMORPHIC, SEDIMENTARY and ALLUVIAL with the ENVIRONMENT tag.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 08:05:10 pm »

Can I do that with stone, too? Meaning, create stone the same way as ore, just so I have more access to different coloured stones?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 08:12:51 pm »

As long as we're on (or close to) the subject of the mineral scarcity setting, what does it actually do? I mean, is setting it absurdly low more likely to
A: Increase the amounts of certain minerals on a given embark site ("Well, DFProspect reveals 19.6 metric fucktons of copper"), or
B: Increase the number and distribution of certain minerals per embark site ("Let's see, there's a fair amount of irons, some tetrahedrite and galena over here, one small gold vein near the brook, a little native aluminum, and a bit of zinc. And hey, marble!")?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Advanced_world_generation#Mineral_Scarcity
See the chart/graph.

Distribution isn't changed, but a LOW scarcity value increases the number of types and the total amounts of minerals (including gems) on the map. At low scarcity you can get lots of everything on a single map, while at high scarcity you can get a small amount of a single type of mineral per layer.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 08:14:18 pm »

Can I do that with stone, too? Meaning, create stone the same way as ore, just so I have more access to different coloured stones?

Yes.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 08:58:14 pm »

Excellent, thank you so much :)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.
Pages: 1 [2]