Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PoH's in-the-works RP system  (Read 816 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
PoH's in-the-works RP system
« on: June 13, 2012, 02:18:11 am »

I'm not copying off Max, I swear! I've had this idea for like eight months now. Maybe his thread is that old? I don't know, I just first visited it earlier today and decided that it might be a good idea to throw around some ideas in here as well.

So I've noticed a problem with most RP systems: they're goddamn complicated. I've dabbled in D&D, Dark Heresy, GURPS, and whatever Serenity is based off, but they've always got some fundamental problem or another.

D&D just has too much rules baggage for me: there's basic stats with their modifiers, and stats based off combinations these stats, and different attributes based off your stats with reference to your other stats and your level, second winds and saving rolls and all this weird crap you have to note on your character sheet that I think could be handled better, and the magic system just seems too artificial, not to mention the pretty large number of dice you have to deal with to play. Dark Heresy solves a lot of these problems but it's really grimdark and (in my opinion) the "lower rolls are better" thing is counterintuitive, not to mention percentile dice being a little odd when you're used to d10s and d20s.

I've also played a lot of RTD and I've realized that it's a little too simple. Also the d6 is a little too sensitive to bonuses and penalties for my taste. So I've gone and decided on the d10, and only the d10. Dark Heresy made me love the d10.

Setting
What would a system be without a default setting? Well luckily I enjoy worldbuilding so I've also made a fantasy world. It's inspired by a pretty large variety of things.

As most post-Elder Scrolls fantasy worlds seem to begin, there was once a world-spanning technologically advanced ancient race that's now extinct. They weren't much of a race, more along the lines of being the result of the world's races uniting in the name of technological and magical progress and eventually becoming what amounts to modular cyborgs. Their minds were contained in a central sphere that could be attached to a variety of body parts depending on their need.

They used up the planet and settled cities in the sky, eventually creating a perfectly controlled paradise in orbit. But eventually they reached too far, and their civilization began to lose control. As they slowly fell apart they decided to wipe themselves off the world and recreate the races they arose from, hoping that eventually they would rise again but would be prepared this time to not make the same mistakes.

They terraformed the world to be inhabitable again and sent down six races: the wild and passionate elves, the faithful and vigilant humans, the industrious and hardworking dwarves, the competitive and ambitious goblins, the adaptive and hardy kobolds, and the laid-back and free-spirited merfolk. The races were designed to compliment each other, and sent down in stasis. They were intended to wake when the Ancients were finished erasing themselves, with no knowledge of the past.

Unfortunately, the Ancients lost control of this as well. Various mistakes and inaccuracies added up so that when the six races were awoken, they quickly found themselves at odds and spread out across the continent to each do their own thing.

Some of the elves viewed their nature as a weakness and created an enchantment that would lock away their emotions. These elves quickly united and defeated the rest of the elves, dubbing themselves eigh elves and forming the Elven Republic. The rest of the elves became known as feral elves and now live in scattered tribes.

The humans quickly became paranoid, xenophobic, and superstitious. They have formed several nations, ranging from strict theocracies to capitalist republics.

The dwarves quickly retreated underground. The most notable dwarven kingdom functions very much like a hybrid of a communist state and a colony of ants. Dwarves are assigned a craft or duty from a very young age, personal possessions are very few, and living quarters are cramped dormitories with very little space for each individual. Insert "haha that sounds like my forts!" joke here.

I honestly haven't thought up much for the goblins. They're on my list of things to flesh out in the setting. They may live in deserts, maybe mountains.

The kobolds are very hardy. They were quickly pushed into the swamps, a dangerous environment that they managed to thrive in. They live in small, mostly autonomous cities and are skilled scavengers. Of course they have no qualms about "scavenging" from passing travelers and caravans.

The merfolk aren't typical merfolk - they have finned legs rather than a fish's tail. They're amphibious, but live mostly in the continent's huge bay on large floating islands of algae/kelp (see: Life of Pi). They're the least warlike of the races because they're the least at threat, and mostly lounge around and play.

There's also one race-independent civilization, the Dominion. Initially formed as a unison of three bandit groups, they're a chaotic group, with no real laws. If you have a position of power, anyone is free to challenge you for it. Leaders run the Dominion through fear and/or respect. They're not recognized as legitimate by any of the other major civilizations and are hunted down with prejudice, but they've managed to get enough people that it would be a huge military feat to just kill them all.

I'm currently considering minor civilizations like treefolk, gnomes, or centaurs, but I haven't made a final decision on the inclusion of any of them.

Mechanics
The system is based of a d10. For every attempted roll-worthy action, the GM gives the player a necessary threshold depending on the difficulty. The player then makes their roll and adds the associated stat (strength, agility, dexterity, intelligence, willpower) and skill (swords, wood crafting, etc). A 1 is an automatic failure and (sorry Max, I stole this from you, but you picked the most goddamn elegant way to do this) a 10 lets you reroll and add the new number to the total.

Players have five stats that I've listed: strength, agility, dexterity, intelligence, and willpower. They also have HP (hit points) and FP (fatigue points). You take damage to your HP (duh), and FP is used for exerting things like sprinting, special attacks, or some spellcasting (there's no mana in this system for magic).

For combat you roll your weapon skill for accuracy, then roll your weapon's damage if you hit. Anyone can make one attempted dodge per round of combat.

Experience is gained at the GM's discretion, typically at the end of an encounter or the session. Your total experience is measured to keep track of your level, but you can also spend experience to gain feats, stats, and skills. Skills aren't trained through use; I find that sort of thing typically tedious.

Okay I'm Done for Now
That's all I'm going to type today. Critique, ask questions, do whatever. That's why I'm posting it here, after all! Potential topics to type up tomorrow, depending on interest: magic, races or civilizations in detail, monsters and wildlife, whatever else anyone wants.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:11:41 am by penguinofhonor »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's in-the-works RP system
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:04:21 am »

Are you really sure you want 1/10 of all actions by players to fail?

Given an average group 5 players. you're going to see a instant failure rolls fairly often. Its 1am so not going to double check math, but that'll bump the failure rate to 50%.

And this isn't saying its bad. Its just curiosity. So then you add your Stat to your Skill to your Equipment to your Roll?

If that's true, then the you've dividing 3 bonuses between a range of 1-5. With a d10, you can't really go more then +5 bonus, because then you start to make the range of the die pointless.
-----
Why did you tell us there no MP? Military Points? Maximum Postaire? Why are you using abbreviations that you haven't defined. If its not in your system then why are you tellus that. There lots that not going to be in your system.
-----
What kind of goal do you want with your mechanics? What kind of feel do you want from your mechanic? Your mechanics reenforce a lot about the game you're making.

Right now your mechanics dont really have any focus. You started the post off complaining that gaming system are to complicated, but you got a nice set up for a crunchy system yourself.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's in-the-works RP system
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:59:48 am »

Are you really sure you want 1/10 of all actions by players to fail?

Given an average group 5 players. you're going to see a instant failure rolls fairly often. Its 1am so not going to double check math, but that'll bump the failure rate to 50%.

And this isn't saying its bad. Its just curiosity.

A round of five players with one action each has a 41% chance of rolling at least one 1. That does seem a quite high.

On second thought, the auto-fail 1 is definitely something I'm not final on. It seems like a decent way to counteract bonus stacking, but there's probably a better way of doing that.

Well maybe it's normal for an action's difficulty threshold to be pretty high? 5 should be pretty easy, since an untrained person has over a 50% chance of completing it.

So then you add your Stat to your Skill to your Equipment to your Roll?

If that's true, then the you've dividing 3 bonuses between a range of 1-5. With a d10, you can't really go more then +5 bonus, because then you start to make the range of the die pointless.

Equipment isn't typically going to give you a bonus, so that's not something that's going to get factored in. The difficulty threshold is also important for this, as it can easily exceed 10. So a difficult action could be completely impossible for someone who's untrained, and a moderately trained person's +4 total bonus might still only get them to a 50-70% success chance.

The stat system is also something I'm looking at. It does feel weird for stats to be measured basically on a 1-5 scale, as well as requiring stats of 0 to not have a bonus to all relevant actions. Maybe the bonus should be equal to half the stat, rounded down? That way a low score of 1 doesn't give you a bonus. But this brings me to one of my problems with D&D: the actual number you have for a stat is hardly ever relevant since the modifier is almost all you use.

Of course, this could be changed by doing things like giving each stat a relevant effect that doesn't care about the modifier. Strength could be carry weight, agility could be movement duration, intelligence could be the amount of spells you can memorize, etc. But this bogs the stat system down with one additional rule per stat. Is that worth it?

Why did you tell us there no MP? Military Points? Maximum Postaire? Why are you using abbreviations that you haven't defined. If its not in your system then why are you tellus that. There lots that not going to be in your system.

Every once in a while I remember that most fantasy RP systems don't actually have mana points. Let's just forget I said that.

What kind of goal do you want with your mechanics? What kind of feel do you want from your mechanic? Your mechanics reenforce a lot about the game you're making.

Right now your mechanics dont really have any focus. You started the post off complaining that gaming system are to complicated, but you got a nice set up for a crunchy system yourself.

For the dice rules, I want everything in the game to roll off the same d10 scale. There might be a few rules with it, but that's all that you have to learn. For instance, Dark Heresy mostly succeeds in making everything percentile dice with lower numbers being better, but the magic system is on a completely different scale where you add d10s together, and that has its own quirks. Basically I want the thinking on different aspects of the game to be more on what they do rather than how they work.

With things like the experience system, I want to encourage players to focus on their objectives to get experience and build their characters how they want to, as opposed to any grinding. The mechanics should help drive the plot along, and I'm wary of anything that encourages delaying or monotony.

The stat system is definitely not complete yet. I've decided that I've got to add charisma somewhere. I don't know, are 7 stats too much? Dark Heresy has like ten and that tends to work out fine, and D&D has nine but it's really only the compound stat system that bothers me there. I guess I've got to think this one over some more. The most complex stat system I'd tolerate would probably be strength, agility, dexterity, intelligence, charisma, willpower, and endurance. The least complex would be strength, agility, and intelligence.

I also want to push a lot of things onto the GM's judgement rather than everyone's rules knowledge. You outnumber an opponent? The GM decides if that makes a difference, not some rule on outnumbering. You have a terrain advantage? The GM makes your action a little easier instead of having to look up a terrain table. This could be a bad idea. What I want here is to push for GM creativity and variety between settings and campaigns.

There are also the sorts of things I haven't put down yet, like skills. Do I want skills that adventurers typically wouldn't have, like farming and stuff? That pushes the system away from typical dungeon crawling. It's fine in something like Dark Heresy where you're assumed to be spending a lot of time on a ship between missions or a system like GURPS that wants to be ready for literally any situation, but I'm pretty sure D&D doesn't care about that stuff. These are decisions I have not made yet, but I'll make sure to know what I'm going for when I make them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:01:31 am by penguinofhonor »