Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Body-ware stockpiles  (Read 2040 times)

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
Body-ware stockpiles
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:45:29 am »

I wonder if someone could provide some clarity

At the moment all my spare clothes are in one central stockpile for clothes, not great as i don't really know what I'm running short of until i see unhappy dwarves. Ive dug out some new ones to split everything up but I'm unsure where things like dresses and shirts go, does it go to the armour section of finished goods? And does this armour section of finished goods have anything to do with the separate armour stockpile designation?

Or, am i going about setting this out completely wrong, I'm curious as to what everyones methods are for keeping ontop of this

Many thanks
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:10:11 am by MaxZero »

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
Re: Body-ware stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:05:17 am »

I believe clothing counts as finished goods, so you want to make a finished good stockpile that only accepts clothing items so it doesn't get interchanged with things like rock mugs which you want to sell.
I like sushi.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:18:31 am »

I'm unsure where things like dresses and shirts go, does it go to the armour section of finished goods?

Yes, precisely.  The "armor" type of finished goods is tunics, shirts, robes, dresses, and other torso coverings.

And does this armour section of finished goods have anything to do with the separate armour stockpile designation?

No.

Or, am i going about setting this out completely wrong, I'm curious as to what everyones methods are for keeping ontop of this

I have separate single-type clothing stockpiles just like you're doing now.  It's not ideal, but it's a start.  Specifically, I have to look at every item in the stockpile to see what's worn out and what's new.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:45:18 am »

I'm unsure where things like dresses and shirts go, does it go to the armour section of finished goods?

Yes, precisely.  The "armor" type of finished goods is tunics, shirts, robes, dresses, and other torso coverings.

And does this armour section of finished goods have anything to do with the separate armour stockpile designation?

No.

I have separate single-type clothing stockpiles just like you're doing now.  It's not ideal, but it's a start.  Specifically, I have to look at every item in the stockpile to see what's worn out and what's new.

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the response. Cleared that up nicely

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:49:55 am »

I also forbid bins in those stockpiles so I can easily see the contents.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:01:08 am »

I tried multiple methods of trying to visually see how much clothes I have in stockpiles but failed miserably.

First if you just make a regular clothes stocpike, dwarfs will put used and worn clothing in it making it hard to see how many new clothes are in it.

Secondly if you tell it to only accept from the workshops so only new clothes will go into it, dwarfs will pick up the clothes and put it in the "old clothes" stockpile. I guess I could not have made an old clothes stockpile that accepts all clothes from everywhere but how else can I gather them to sell off the worn clothes to caravans.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 05:15:35 pm »

Dwarves only actually need a piece of "armor" clothing, a piece of "legwear" clothing, and a "footwear" clothing item on each foot; they don't get unhappy if they don't have "handwear" or "headwear". Personally, I have a single stockpile for all clothing right above my clothier's shop. I only ever produce pig tail fiber vests, trousers and shoes for my dwarves to wear, so I just open my stocks screen, navigate down to each one of those, designate old clothes to be dumped into my quantum stockpile and see how many remaining pieces of clothing are left, trying to keep the amount equal to three times as many dwarves as I have in my fortress.

TL;DR: check Stocks screen, armor/legwear/footwear categories. Total - military armor - number of dwarves = spare clothing.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 06:00:34 pm »

gloves or mittens really help when you get FB syndrome coated items
Hoods and caps help when you have a threath of tantrumers - less chance of getting headshots
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.