Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Bridge of Death  (Read 715 times)

The_Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Bridge of Death
« on: August 18, 2006, 02:07:00 am »

Answer me these questions three!

No, but seriously.  I've seen reference to this problem cropping up before, but never quite to the extent I have presently encountered.  What happened was this: I had a dwarf throw a tantrum and destroy my cave river bridge.  Pursuant to a long-standing plan, I have built everything of relevance on the far side of the cave river, including my stone supplies, all my food, and my well.  Almost immediately after the bridge was destroyed, I suffered a frogman attack.  While my crossbowman on the surface-side did banner work, what really killed them was the large serrated bronze disk trap just inside my first room (where the well is.)

Now, however, my fortress is almost completely paralyzed.  I (foolishly) attempted to place a new, larger bridge where the old one was; realizing that the stone involved might be on both sides of the river (somehow, despite my stone stores being on the deep side), I then attempted to install a smaller bridge crafted of moonstone off to one side.  I've never used moonstone for anything, so it should all be in my stone stores, and I have guys tasked to build it on the side where the stone is.  No problem there.

However, not only do the dwarves refuse to build either of the two bridges, they refuse to do anything else.  An increasing number want to drink, but they refuse to even enter the room where the well is.  There's a farmer standing in the doorway who won't take the one step to get there.  Granted, it's pretty bloody at the moment, but that doesn't seem to be worth dying for.  (Not that they will enter the room to clean it up, either.  ;))  The guys topside, of course, are starving to death because they can't get to the food stores.  I've got saves of all of this; saving and reloading doesn't appear to have changed anything.

That problem aside, the game is everything I'd hoped for and more.  Good on ya, Toady.  I'll kick you some bucks as soon as I'm, you know, gainfully employed.  ;)

The_Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bridge of Death
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 03:02:00 am »

An addendum: I was able to break the cycle by tasking a couple of miners who were caught on the surface-side to dig an alternate route and use the stone thus created to build a bridge from the surface-side to the under-side.  This freed up everyone from standing where they were constantly spitting messages about their pathfinding problems.  Of course, by the time I was done everyone who had been locked in place since the bridge was destroyed was thirsty, hungry, and miserable.  What did that mean?  If you said "a temper tantrum will destroy your new bridge, too!" you're smarter than I am.  ;)

For whatever reason, the guys on the under-side seem to be more capable of coping now, despite the lack of bridges.  However, the problem appears to be that dwarves on the far side of the cave river have crippling pathfinding problems if there's only one route across the river, and they lose it.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 03:54:00 am »

Maybe just for cases like this people should build at least 2 bridges(in slightly differnt areas so no 1 tantrum can destroy them both(well hopefuly)) until somthing is done about this bridge paralysis syndrome?

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 03:56:00 am »

Speaking of bridges of death, I had a mysterious 'someone' pull the lever that retracted my bridge over the river, drowing the poor metalsmith who happened to be walking across at the time.

Damn you someone! *shakes fist*

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 10:09:00 am »

I'd like to report a similar experience, as there's a real problem with pathfinding here. I had two bridges over the river; when I took one down to rebuild it in a more defensible fashion, it broke pathfinding and I started getting spammed with "could not find path" messages in spite of the other usable bridge.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 01:57:00 pm »

Oops, nevermind. I had a door set to forbidden that was blocking access to the other bridge.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 02:37:00 am »

I think fuzzpilz sent me a save with the bridge problem, although another would help.

The mysterious lever puller actually killed somebody!  YES!!!  It works!

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 02:57:00 am »

uh oh... that doesn't sound too good...   :D

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 02:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I think fuzzpilz sent me a save with the bridge problem, although another would help.

The mysterious lever puller actually killed somebody!  YES!!!  It works!</STRONG>

I knew this was some kind of sick plan of yours!

Just to make sure it wouldn't happen again, I removed the lever. Hah, let's see your game with it's dastardly AI beat that!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 04:01:00 am »

The mysterious lever puller has driven you to non-mechanized primitive living!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!