Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 779 times)

SirGelatina

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:17:59 pm »

I have a fortress for a few (in-game) years now, but a few things have been bothering me. I did a brief search on the forum and the wiki to find the answers, but i found nothing.

1. My military dwarves won't equip footwear/handwear. Is there any reason for that? It's been like this since i've recruited them. And yes, i do have the equipment.

2. There are a few ghosts that i cannot memorialize. Is there any other way to get rid of them?

3. How can i give clothes to a specific dwarf? While my military dwarves are wearing threadbare clothes, my other dwarves are claiming ALL clothes i produce.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: oops, i didn't see the question and answer thread. I'm sorry!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:19:44 pm by SirGelatina »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:34:26 pm »

1: I don't know, they may just be slow to get them. What are your uniform settings and what is it they are not picking up? they may leave iron gauntlets in favor of nicely decorated pig tail fiber gloves if your settings arn't specific enough.

2: No, slabs should do it and ghosts should be at the top of the list. There might be a bug that they are missing instead of missing- presumed dead. There is a dfhack fix for this.

3: military supposedly has priority, so maybe they don't want to let go of the worn items
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 04:03:45 pm »

1. My military dwarves won't equip footwear/handwear. Is there any reason for that? It's been like this since i've recruited them. And yes, i do have the equipment.
I can't think of any reason for this. What kind of clothing are you trying to equip them with, and are they already wearing something there?

2. There are a few ghosts that i cannot memorialize. Is there any other way to get rid of them?
No, ghosts only settle down from being memorialized or having their body stuffed in a coffin.

3. How can i give clothes to a specific dwarf? While my military dwarves are wearing threadbare clothes, my other dwarves are claiming ALL clothes i produce.
Just make more clothes. Eventually everyone should be wearing new stuff.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 08:21:06 pm »

1. Have you assigned the footware or handware directly? Are you assigning them armour or clothing?

2. Ghosts can be removed by means of slabs, or by burial. They also age, assuming they are the ghosts of normal dwarves, so they will die of old age after enough time passes.

3. If you assign your dwarves armour, it will now satisfy the clothing requirements assuming the release notes for 0.34.11 are correct. Clothing production requirements are pretty huge.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

SirGelatina

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:52:24 am »

I haven't assigned anything directly:

The same happens to my marksdwarves, but there is a difference. I have assigned "metal high boot" and "metal gauntlet" to that dwarf that is selected on the screenshot and to all my marksdwarves, but to the other dwarves in the melee squad, i haven't (instead, i assigned the generic metal footwear and metal handwear). Later, i pressed that P to see what is that Pri/Assigments. Through that screen, i found out that my marksdwarves apparently do have high boots and gauntlets related (?) to them, but they aren't equipping them either. It's really weird, i'll probably try starting another save later.

There's another thing i've noticed too. The wiki seems to say that equipment is supposed to be stored in the weapon and armor racks, but that never happened. Would you like me to upload my save?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 12:14:53 pm »

weird indeed and forget about the armor stand etc, it's what is possible, but currently you shouldn't bother with it. They are fine always wearing armor/uniforms

for this guy, well, you don't have steel gauntlets or high boots that he can claim. Either someone else claimed them or you don't have them.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:27:55 pm »

OK just for your information, you need to assign two high boots and two gauntlets if you assign specific equipment items individually. What you have there will cause your dwarves to put on one boot and one gauntlet.

If you try assigning gear directly, it may give better results.

As far as I know, armour stands and weapon racks were intended to be used so you could make armouries as well as barracks. I haven't seen dwarves store equipment on armour stands or weapon racks so far though.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:54:04 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 05:41:14 pm »

OK just for your information, you need to assign two high boots and two gauntlets. What you have there will cause your dwarves to put on one boot and one gauntlet.

That's incorrect.  Assigning "high boot" in the uniform causes the dwarf to wear two high boots, one on each foot.  Same with gauntlets.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:05:39 pm »

OK just for your information, you need to assign two high boots and two gauntlets. What you have there will cause your dwarves to put on one boot and one gauntlet.
That's incorrect.  Assigning "high boot" in the uniform causes the dwarf to wear two high boots, one on each foot.  Same with gauntlets.
Assigning once means they will put on two, unless you assign specific equipment, in which case you need to assign two different pieces.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 08:42:48 pm »

1. Could be a layering issue. Are they currently wearing socks/shoes and gloves/mittens? I have four metal-uniformed soldiers in a fort too young to have any clothing wear, and all they've put on is a mail shirt and leggings or greaves each. Changing the 'Metal armor' to 'replace clothing' causes them to put on all items in the uniform and nothing else (ie. no civvies and skivvies underneath the metal).

This isn't a problem right now because they're training-only due to being unable to wear full armour and move at full speed, but it's probably going to be a pain when I need to outfit them more fully.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 01:41:18 am »

to note again, the soldier in the screenshot hasn't claimed gauntlets or boots. The setting is exact match and it's set for steel, so it seems there are no steel high boots or gauntlets available for this soldier