Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My civ discovered ruck nuts etc. pretty late?  (Read 818 times)

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My civ discovered ruck nuts etc. pretty late?
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:25:18 pm »

So here I am at the trading screen, picking what I want for next year when I pass through the "seeds" category and notice there are new options. I come back to the category and see that I now have the option to order rock nuts, cave wheat seeds, sweet pot seeds etc. Basically the seeds you'd expect from a dwarven caravan.

But the strange part is that I distinctively remember having only plump helmets as an option in that category. I am sure of this because those damn hippies were taking too long to bring me some sun berry seeds and I wanted to see if my civ could get me some. (I got them later anyway) But I am absolutely positive those choices were NOT there. I do not remember if they were on the embark screen because I only stack plump helmet seeds at the start and buy the others from the passing caravans in the first year or so (if I needed them)...

I also remembered that last year my liaison was ready to pay me double the value for seeds so I sold the suckers 100 bags or so, don't remember if they contained any of those though.

Back to the point: I thought rock nuts, pig tails and those plants were available all the time and needed no discovery or something? Or am I just delusional or something? My memory has failed me many times before...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:28:09 pm by Yovatsap »

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My civ discovered ruck nuts etc. pretty late?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 02:45:54 pm »

Im pretty sure its your memory since nothing happens while in fortress mode.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 05:00:36 pm »

either they have it or they don't. Caravans don't always bring it though unless you ask for it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

wedgebert

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 05:07:58 pm »

Likely you're conflating the Plants category with Seeds.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 07:10:08 pm »

The only plants traders bring are ones that are edible raw, and of the dwarven plants only plump helmets are edible raw.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 08:17:11 am »

Also, you may have embarked with a different civ. If there are multiple dwarven civilizations, then I think you're automatically added to the closest one - you can check to see if there is more than one by pressing 'Tab' on the site selection screen. (A couple of times - I don't know the exact number of key presses.)