Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob Questions  (Read 930 times)

UristSwiftstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noob Questions
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:18:50 am »

1. Best weapon for Adventure Mode? Dwarf Fortress Mode?
2. Do events continually happen in the game world after world generation has ended?
3. Is a fortress without booze entirely plausible to be successful? WATER FOR EVERYONE ;D
4. Is a fortress made of wood entirely plausible as well? WE WILL LIVE LIKE ELVES ;D
5. OH GOD NO, NOT THE HAMMER D:
6. I will be a good dwarf, and drink booze and live in the mountainhomes... I will be a good dwarf... A good dwarf...

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:22:48 am »

1: Axes and Hammers work well in Fortress mode, depending on the enemy.
2. No. At this point, the world stops once World Gen has ended. But that's going to change soon - look at the dev log for the past couple of days.
3. You'll get tons of unhappy thoughts - though you could mitigate those with masterwork meals and legendary dinging rooms/ royal bedrooms and such. It would be difficult, though.
4. Yes, a fortress made of wood can be done. Once again, very difficult.
5. What? Is there a question?
6. Yes, you should.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:28:39 am »

1. Best weapon for Adventure Mode? Dwarf Fortress Mode?
2. Do events continually happen in the game world after world generation has ended?
3. Is a fortress without booze entirely plausible to be successful? WATER FOR EVERYONE ;D
4. Is a fortress made of wood entirely plausible as well? WE WILL LIVE LIKE ELVES ;D
5. OH GOD NO, NOT THE HAMMER D:
6. I will be a good dwarf, and drink booze and live in the mountainhomes... I will be a good dwarf... A good dwarf...

1:
For dwarfs I really like axes, my human adventurers generally do better with swords. Both in fort and andventure, whips win the day as long as you have something where headshots kill (some FB are immune to this and need to be hacked apart). In both cases ranged attacks are strong, very strong, but in adventure mode accuracy and reload time are a problem for small adventure groups.

2:
No, currently, after world gen ends the world freezes. The only life happens at your fort, the only births happen there etc. After a few hundred years pass, no humans will be left alive but werebeasts, necromancers and vampires, and no dwarfs except those and the ones born in your forts.

3:
No, not only will the unhappy thought become very very big resulting in a lt of fighting, work will slow down to less than a crawl.

4:
sure, whatever strikes your fancy. Elf.

5:
The hammerer has been equiped with an adamantine hammer, so no worries.

6:
Too bad, we need a new overseer for DoomedWealth and you just volunteered. You leave in 5 minutes. Guards!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:24:55 am »

3:
No, not only will the unhappy thought become very very big resulting in a lt of fighting, work will slow down to less than a crawl.

Just to be clear here, work won't just slow down due to fighting; dwarves are actually booze-powered, and they work more slowly if they don't get enough of it.

A drunk dwarf is a productive dwarf!  (Though not necessarily a clear-thinking dwarf.)  ;)
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:34:39 am »

1. Whips and scourges are OP in Adventurer Mode (i.e., Overpowered and also a faggot). Spears are fun if you're into stabbing your opponents fingers one by one until he bleeds to death.
2. Nope.
3. Go for it, you elf.
4. YOU ELF
5. THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR BEING AN ELF
6. DAMN RIGHT

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:06 am »

Yeah, but that's more a consequence of being a dwarf rather than any booze related issue. Sober dwarfs think just as clearly as drunk dwarfs.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:52 am »

Yeah, but that's more a consequence of being a dwarf rather than any booze related issue. Sober dwarfs think just as clearly as drunk dwarfs.

I wouldn't know.  I've never seen a sober dwarf.   ;D
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:41:51 am »

I wouldn't know.  I've never seen a sober dwarf.   ;D
The only sober dwarf is a dead dw-
No, scratch that. Even the dead ones are drunk.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 12:06:06 pm »

Everyone moves slowly, but it works okay if you have a large dining room, wonderful food, and private bedrooms.  Clothing, too, these days.  Just be sure that you have a well underground with a reliable water supply, or the fools will race over the hills to drink water in the most dangerous location possible.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 12:08:57 pm »

DF is the incarnation of murphy's law
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

UristSwiftstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 01:16:58 am »

Can you put forgotten beasts/titans in the Arena?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 01:53:16 am »

if you mean an arena you made in your fort, sure, but in arena mode I don't think so

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 09:31:13 am »

1. Generally, sharp weapons kill quickly, blunt weapons incapacitate quickly. I'd go for the sharp ones if I were you.
2. No.
3. Technically yes, but they'd be unhappy and slow.
4. You wouldn't be able to make beds, but again, technically yes. You'd also be without any fuel until you hit magma, or unless you embarked with some coal.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 09:33:17 am by Tharwen »
[Signature]