Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some ideas about this embark site with a volcano.  (Read 831 times)

slaytanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my DFFD pack
Need some ideas about this embark site with a volcano.
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:55:29 pm »

I got stuck a little bit on my last fortress and fired up a new world. I found a nifty embark site mostly flat (except for the volcano) with a happy little river http://youtu.be/TRI_l3Jdbm0
I haven't played with volcanos much and I'm thinking of starting some kind of mega project. Maybe you guys (and gals) could brainstorm and toss some ideas at me.
So let me get this straight....We are talking monkeys living on a dirt ball that circles a fireball ? WTF ?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Need some ideas about this embark site with a volcano.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:43:34 pm »

Drain volcano.  Build the tower from Final Fantasy 4.  Then from your impenetrable fortress flood the world with magma until some jerk in a ninja mask splashes water on your nethers every time you open your cloak.  ???  Profit.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:48:34 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:07:54 pm »

Hmm I found magma about 15 tiles down on my current embark site, not sure how it got so close but it seems to be a similar situation, only there's no surface opening (well, the entrance to my fort is now technically the surface opening).

I say you make a killzone entrance to your fort with a drawbridge to keep baddies out and some magma-filled carts running down from the top to wreck and spray the entrance. Toady did fix the liquids spilling out, right? Can't remember. Not quite a megaproject but with enough rail anything is a megaproject.

I also have a small pond just above my entrance, so I'm thinking of building a flood-chamber.

slaytanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my DFFD pack
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 02:51:29 pm »

I'm gonna just start digging and trust my dwarven ingenuity to take over. I will just copy my save folder before I start building just in case I have an epiphany.
So let me get this straight....We are talking monkeys living on a dirt ball that circles a fireball ? WTF ?