Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic-Bay12'ers out there?  (Read 2162 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Star Wars: The Old Republic-Bay12'ers out there?
« on: February 10, 2013, 05:54:13 am »

Just curious to know how many active Bay12'ers are out there playing SWTOR. I started about a week or two ago and am enjoying it. :P

And maybe to discuss the game-why you left if you did, are you interested in returning whats happening now, how does it play etc

My Chars

Tala'san, Smuggler, Ebon Hawk Server
Kikaari, Sith Warrior, Ebon Hawk Server

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic-Bay12'ers out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:00:10 am »

I played for a few weeks in December. Got a Sith Warrior up to level 20-something on a pvp server that I don't remember the name of.

Then an update was released that caused the game to crash on startup so I couldn't play anymore. Spent a few days reading through the forums about a bunch of other people having the same problem and never found a solution.

So I stopped playing. *shrug*

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 06:13:47 pm »

Didn't this game implode or something, due to it being lackluster or buggy or both or a general disappointment?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 06:43:35 pm »

I still play from time to time but all of my chars are lvl 20 and under, due to my usual mmo burnout. Honestly, I think 27 was my highest level char in any mmorpg. UO was the only game I maxed out.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:04:41 pm »

Funny enough i remember back at launch day i think? or something similar, well before the legacy patch none the less, i did manage to get a soldier to lvl 50, the only game where i managed to max out a character, was doing a lot of PVP *game*. Was fun for a while but eventually i got bored with all thee nerfs, patches, and general direction of the game, felt too much like WoW with a frigging star wars theme.

Was a goos story tho i cant say otherwise, but im more into free-form game like UO.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:25:41 pm »

Oh I play it.
Sadly, I havent set up a subscription for this month. :/
Tough that may change soon, maybe by the next month.

Didn't this game implode or something, due to it being lackluster or buggy or both or a general disappointment?

Last I saw there were still plenty of people running around.
And with the new expansion coming out soon, it might get some of those lost players back but.. who knows?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:28:22 pm by Ultimuh »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:06:47 pm »

The game went F2P no?
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 09:53:16 am »

The game went F2P no?
Yes, but there are limits that I am not very fond of.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:57:44 pm by Ultimuh »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 03:18:57 pm »

Apologies for the necro, but this is the most recent thread I could find.

I downloaded the game and just couldn't maintain a connection. I kept getting disconnection errors, it loads very slowly, etc. Farthest I was able to get was character creation.

I'm really bummed now because I had to uninstall Planetside 2 because as long as I have it installed I simply can't connect to big MMO game servers - although normal web browsing, file downloads, streaming video, and Minecraft servers work perfectly. Also I play DDO and it works just fine - unless PS2 is installed in which case it also fails to connect.

It's like PS2 does something that borks everything that is similar to it. It's really weird. And SWTOR is doing the same thing. AND they're three different companies: SOE, EA, and Turbine.

I've gone through over 50 hours of troubleshooting work on this issue. This is the most tenaciously broken computer thing I have ever experienced. I've dealt with firewall exceptions, router settings, DirectX, reinstallations, an OS wipe. You know how the joke people like to tell you when you're having a computer problem is that you should reinstall your OS? Well I did that. Didn't help. And I've tried all kinds of combinations of these things, in different orders, various post-installations steps, sending in my log files, etc.

I'm just not willing to do it again for another game. Especially one I didn't already play like PS2. Especially one with dialogue writing as facepalmingly terrible as SWTOR (I've watched a bunch of LP videos).

My gripe is that the game doesn't have effective error codes and error logging. There should be a different error code for every thing that isn't working, not just "oops error 9000 you can't connect hurr hurr." And Win8 evidently doesn't have good error logging? It's like trying to fix an engine in the dark.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 04:34:18 pm »

Apologies for the necro, but this is the most recent thread I could find.

I downloaded the game and just couldn't maintain a connection. I kept getting disconnection errors, it loads very slowly, etc. Farthest I was able to get was character creation.

I'm really bummed now because I had to uninstall Planetside 2 because as long as I have it installed I simply can't connect to big MMO game servers - although normal web browsing, file downloads, streaming video, and Minecraft servers work perfectly. Also I play DDO and it works just fine - unless PS2 is installed in which case it also fails to connect.

It's like PS2 does something that borks everything that is similar to it. It's really weird. And SWTOR is doing the same thing. AND they're three different companies: SOE, EA, and Turbine.

I've gone through over 50 hours of troubleshooting work on this issue. This is the most tenaciously broken computer thing I have ever experienced. I've dealt with firewall exceptions, router settings, DirectX, reinstallations, an OS wipe. You know how the joke people like to tell you when you're having a computer problem is that you should reinstall your OS? Well I did that. Didn't help. And I've tried all kinds of combinations of these things, in different orders, various post-installations steps, sending in my log files, etc.

I'm just not willing to do it again for another game. Especially one I didn't already play like PS2. Especially one with dialogue writing as facepalmingly terrible as SWTOR (I've watched a bunch of LP videos).

My gripe is that the game doesn't have effective error codes and error logging. There should be a different error code for every thing that isn't working, not just "oops error 9000 you can't connect hurr hurr." And Win8 evidently doesn't have good error logging? It's like trying to fix an engine in the dark.
I once had problem playing eve-online, after numerous hours of network monitoring, trace, routing and so on finaly found out what was my problem... It was my ISP at fault,  causing time-out from the server due to packetloss and some other non-sense due to their agressive trottling and other *questionable* practice. After a few days of barking up they finaly lost a consumer because they all said the problem was on *my* end while i had proof otherwise.

I really hope it is not something like that for you... and that you find what is the problem.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 08:15:12 pm »

Thanks. There are two ISPs in my area, both private companies. If I want internet, I'm kinda screwed.

I used to live in a nearby city with a civic utility for high speed internet. It was wonderful - cheap, high quality, excellent service. Some of the cheapness could have come from efficiencies discovered because it's run by the power utility. Some could have come from actual funding from taxation. I suspect even counting additional taxes it was still cheaper than my current CenturyLink crapola.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 08:52:49 pm »

Could it be that PS2 and SWTOR install some kind of always-resident DRM that is screwing things up? (I don't play either - the only MMOs I have installed are Star Trek Online and Neverwinter)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 05:34:12 pm »

What seems to be the sticking point is that the game launcher runs the client and then the client tries to connect to the server - but for some reason can't.

Now why that would affect a different game, from a different publisher, is a mystery.

One avenue may be that the in-game cash shop transaction system uses AwesomiumProcess for both games. There may be a common PunkBuster-like third-party implementation as well.

I will say that it does not seem related to DirectX, because there are times when I can get in to view game assets in the client, such as character selections screens with stuff happening in the background that is clearly using in-game models. You would think that failure would happen consistently - although, I do admit that I've heard a lot of stories where the failure was predictable if you knew what was going on behind the curtain, but overtly it seemed random or connected to something else entirely.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 06:12:46 am »

I grudgingly started playing this again last week due to being insanely bored. I started again with a Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent - I'm having 'fun' to an extent, I love the fully voiced quests and the different conversation options - but ultimately, this is an incredibly shallow MMO experience.

Essentially, the game should always have been a single player game - you can (and I am) play the game completely solo with no loss of enjoyment. There's no need to interract with others, there's no roleplay (even on roleplay servers, and even if there WAS roleplaying to be had there's nowhere to do it without being swamped by a hundred n00bs - there's no multiuser ships, private housing, private instances...) and there's nowhere to leave your mark on the world with player housing. Even the ships are cookie cutter - every class has a different one but they are all identical in what you can do in them....i.e. nothing.

What they should have done was just make and release KOTOR III, IV and V instead of trying to wrap it up in an online experience to bleed out a bit of cash from a previously loyal fanbase. Instead, they created a single player on-the-rails game with an astoundingly unfulfilling and wholly unnecessary multiplayer element.

It was never going to beat Star Wars Galaxies, but it should have at least tried.

I can see myself playing for another week or so (I'm currently having a hard time finding a game to play that I haven't already done to death) but then packing up and never returning. I might pop over to the SWG-Emu guys and download that again...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:16:29 am by Kaje »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 09:39:58 am »

I have it downloaded and I've given it a few whirls but mostly it is a fully lackluster MMO.
It doesn't really do anything innovative with the concept, it just threw together the basics with a hint of Star Wars and then started milking the massively multiplayer cow.

The only thing I think it does that looks fun to really screw around with is the Legacy system and that's something you have to pay money and invest countless hours on mediocrity to see any real benefit from.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.