Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas for a new weapon  (Read 1603 times)

JDRingo

• Bay Watcher
  • If the cops ask, I'm a lumberjack.
    • View Profile
Ideas for a new weapon
« on: June 02, 2012, 02:10:33 pm »

So yesterday I decided to write myself up some super armor to learn how to add in new items, then I got an idea after watching iron man 2 again to make a super hero squad to fight the arch-conservative agenda. So this morning I changed the name of the armor to "PwrSuit" and now I'm wondering what I should do for the repulsor blasters.

It didn't take me too long to figure out the armor tags, but I've noticed that weapons are a bit of a different beast as far as complexity. So I guess what I'm asking for are some ideas for what I should add to this weapon, as well as some protips to help me avoid making the weapon OP. I just want friggin laserbeams coming out of their friggin hands, not a group of bipedal tanks.

Also I still haven't thought up a name for this squad, so any help there would also be appreciated.
"Armok, the God of Blood, is just about the only constant in these chaotic random universes. A general sense of conflict keeps Armok appeased - when the universe becomes too boring it is set on the anvil of creation to be reforged."

DeathsDisciple

• Bay Watcher
  • He's nice (on the inside)
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for a new weapon
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 03:06:17 pm »

I don't believe you can have the armor itself have weapons, but you make the armor have an appropriate weapon associated to it, but I don't think that does anything useful (except in the sense that you have a police uniform on, you need an appropriate weapon associated with it [i.e. 9mm Pistol, and various others.], or you disguise won't work as well, or, not at all). However, you can make an weapon yourself by editing the weapon XML yourself, if that was what you were asking all along.

I would suggest that it should be ranged (of course), the fixed damage should be higher that normal, and the random damage to be whatever you like. There are other things, though I would suggest you experiment with this and that.
(Please Note: Be very careful with fire, even though you may be Elite Liberal does not save you from burning to death.) 

I hope I answered (at least) some of your questions. If not, tell me what I missed.
Also: "The Squad of Elite Liberal Heroes" I think is a good name.

P.S. Please define "OP"
"And I believe that totalitarianism, if not fought against, could triumph again." - George Orwell
My YouTube Channel.

JDRingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 03:36:09 pm »

I already figured out you can't mount weapons on armor, sorry if I wasn't very clear. Also I've heard some horror stories about the way fire works, so I wasn't planning on adding that in there.

OP=overpowered
"Armok, the God of Blood, is just about the only constant in these chaotic random universes. A general sense of conflict keeps Armok appeased - when the universe becomes too boring it is set on the anvil of creation to be reforged."

Alpheus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:16:49 pm »

Anti-tank weapons (ie RPGs, TOW missile systems, etc - Molotovs don't really count anymore since they're not very effective against modern tanks and at best can disable but not destroy them) are the only thing logical that's really missing, you could steal them from the army base.  Although you can destroy tanks if you have high enough weapon skills, I've had liberals somehow destroy tanks with assault rifles.  Also - to make tanks even more scarier/realistic you could add a coaxial or top hatch machine gun.  An anti-material rifle would be an amusing addition too, you could use it to take out pursuing vehicles in one or two shots.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:31:34 pm »

I think what we need are weapons that only show up in a Liberal world.

I am really getting lazy when it comes to making the "Lets make The Liberal World harder for Crimesquads" topic...

Also interestingly enough Alpheus if the Tank is heavy enough even the TOW will be next to useless.

JDRingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:45:00 am »

Well you can find all the guns you need on military personnel, and in the national guard base. So I don't see why you should still need to buy guns in endgame. And if you really need to buy weapons under liberal policies then try the oubliette. I don't think the swords would be outlawed.

Also, in an perfect liberal society there's no such thing as guns.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:09:09 am »

Well you can find all the guns you need on military personnel, and in the national guard base. So I don't see why you should still need to buy guns in endgame. And if you really need to buy weapons under liberal policies then try the oubliette. I don't think the swords would be outlawed.

Also, in an perfect liberal society there's no such thing as guns.

Not even for the police? Military?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 02:28:19 am »

Not even for the police or military (though I believe they still currently do).

But they would have different kinds of devices.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 07:20:59 am »

In a Liberal world, there'd be more guitar-like things. And brownie-like things. Mind-altering stuff in general.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 09:59:00 am »

Molotovs don't really count anymore since they're not very effective against modern tanks and at best can disable but not destroy them)

But against police cruisers, and police armored vehicles, are probably really good targets for such.

We should get some mail bombs, and anthrax packages/letters too.

In a Liberal world, there'd be more guitar-like things. And brownie-like things. Mind-altering stuff in general.

Liberal hippies, sure, but there's plenty of left wingers who decided action was the only type of reasoning left, such as the SLA that the game is based off of, and the Black Panthers. Breaking the laws is always justifiable if it's for the greater good of assuring those laws in a contradictory way.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 06:12:47 am »

Mail bombs, huh? That'd be a good use for the Science skill. Right now it's only useful for the big red button. But such a risk of backfiring--the CIA/Ministry of Love could really spin it to their favor. I guess it could go under the "making trouble" category along with hackers and graffiti... Another risk would be if the bomb hit somebody it wasn't supposed to hit--like you targeted that Hangin' Judge and got a Teenager instead. Your Liberals should lose Heart for that, just like they do if they accidentally/deliberately kill a hostage.

What would make a new feature most attractive to me would be if it could affect an issue that hasn't got a specific way to change it yet, or added a new mechanic that allowed for different strategies.

Liberal hippies, sure, but there's plenty of left wingers who decided action was the only type of reasoning left, such as the SLA that the game is based off of, and the Black Panthers. Breaking the laws is always justifiable if it's for the greater good of assuring those laws in a contradictory way.
Ehh... we have guns. Adding more violent options might be cool, but only if they add something new to the game as a whole. A gun with a different name, slightly different stats, and a different sized clip doesn't exactly change very much.