Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Experimenting with a "culture"  (Read 2352 times)

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Experimenting with a "culture"
« on: June 09, 2012, 11:46:58 am »

Hello all,

I decided to try and perform an experiment. I settled my human outpost in the middle of a desert, and now I am focusing on making the people "dress" in a semi-middle-eastern style. I am mass producing sandals, robes and trousers, as well as hoods (cannot make masks or turbans). Meanwhile I am focusing my military on a highly risky path: they are all wearing leather armor and using both ranged weapons (bows and crossbows) and scimitars.

I have a few questions about this idea of mine, and the highest possible risks focused around it:

1) I set my military to have specific uniforms (reason why they carry around two weapons at a time), but when they face off against the enemy, will they use their bows, blades or does it all depend on which of their skills is higher?

2) Is the current clothing layout (Robes, Sandals, trousers, hoods) sufficient for my humans not to go berserk?

3) Is there absolutely no way for humans to ride on camels/horses? I know Dwarves have no such option, but do Modded humans do?

4) Purely incidentally one of my artifacts is a Camel Crown. Is there any way for a Noble to equip it?

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimenting with a "culture"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 12:05:59 pm »

1: They will not switch over to their secondary if they have a range weapon, and will instead try and thump people with their range weapons.

2: Sounds like plenty of clothing, I believe they only really need a little clothing, and having something covering each part will keep them good.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 12:22:55 pm »

Your best bet here is doing some light modding, like making turbans and masks common for humans, then going to weapons and changing edged attacks of bows to whatever short sword ( which is identical to scimitar ) has and renaming it bow and scimitar.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 01:03:55 pm »

I personally cannot answer any of your questions, but I am curious about the 4th one. Anyone care to send an answer our way?

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 01:08:23 pm »

You can pretend that he's wearing it.  Make a stockpile in his room for it and use imagination :D
I like sushi.

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 01:12:30 pm »

You can pretend that he's wearing it.  Make a stockpile in his room for it and use imagination :D
Yeah, that always works. If this special someone ever dies, I'll dump the item in lava to honor him. Unless he was a dick, then I'd just leave it outside for some Mandrills to steal it or something.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 01:18:30 pm »

1) Can't say for sure, but I've been led to believe they use whichever has higher quality. I'd recommend taking the modding route, like so:
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BOW]
[NAME:bow and scimitar:bows and scimitars]
[SIZE:300]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[RANGED:BOW:ARROW]
[SHOOT_FORCE:1000]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:1000]
[TWO_HANDED:0]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:15000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:2000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:4000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:50:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]

This will replace bows in your game. Alternatively, you might want to replace a weapon you never use, like Mauls or Morningstars. Just copy this into your item_weapons.txt in the raw folder, replacing whichever weapon you want.

2) Yeah, the only three parts for moods are feet (sandals), legs (trousers), and torso (robes). But you'll get slaughtered without metal armour if you engage in melee. I recommend staying behind fortifications. Also, the ancient Mesopotamians had metal, just in limited quantities and mostly from trade -- so don't feel culturally obliged to avoid importing metal weapons and armour, at the least.
3) Sorry, you can't ride animals, even with modding. That would be awesome. I think it's coming in a future version, though.
4) No, crowns can only be equipped in adventurer mode or by migrants before they come to your fort as trophies.

I don't know much about the Middle East after Alexander the Great, but before then pretty much everything was made of mud brick (ie, clay). If you have clay, you can get infinite building materials just by having someone repeat gather clay. Useful when you don't want to do intensive mining.

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 01:45:03 pm »

1) Can't say for sure, but I've been led to believe they use whichever has higher quality. I'd recommend taking the modding route, like so:
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BOW]
[NAME:bow and scimitar:bows and scimitars]
[SIZE:300]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[RANGED:BOW:ARROW]
[SHOOT_FORCE:1000]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:1000]
[TWO_HANDED:0]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:15000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:2000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:4000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:50:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]

This will replace bows in your game. Alternatively, you might want to replace a weapon you never use, like Mauls or Morningstars. Just copy this into your item_weapons.txt in the raw folder, replacing whichever weapon you want.

2) Yeah, the only three parts for moods are feet (sandals), legs (trousers), and torso (robes). But you'll get slaughtered without metal armour if you engage in melee. I recommend staying behind fortifications. Also, the ancient Mesopotamians had metal, just in limited quantities and mostly from trade -- so don't feel culturally obliged to avoid importing metal weapons and armour, at the least.
3) Sorry, you can't ride animals, even with modding. That would be awesome. I think it's coming in a future version, though.
4) No, crowns can only be equipped in adventurer mode or by migrants before they come to your fort as trophies.

I don't know much about the Middle East after Alexander the Great, but before then pretty much everything was made of mud brick (ie, clay). If you have clay, you can get infinite building materials just by having someone repeat gather clay. Useful when you don't want to do intensive mining.

1) Cheers, I will try this. Hopefully my warriors won't try to club a goblin to death with their bows... I hope... Would be great if it worked though.

2) Oh, the clothing was for civilians. The actual troops use primarily leather armor, from camels or similar creatures. I think that I might invest a bit in chainmail or heavier armor for my more "Elite Guard".

3) That is such a pity. I could almost picture Camel riders charging into goblins. *crosses fingers for next update*

4) Hmmm, as good a way as any I say. Will do that.

Cheers

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 01:47:06 pm »

1) I set my military to have specific uniforms (reason why they carry around two weapons at a time), but when they face off against the enemy, will they use their bows, blades or does it all depend on which of their skills is higher?

2) Is the current clothing layout (Robes, Sandals, trousers, hoods) sufficient for my humans not to go berserk?

1: They will not switch over to their secondary if they have a range weapon, and will instead try and thump people with their range weapons.

2: Sounds like plenty of clothing, I believe they only really need a little clothing, and having something covering each part will keep them good.
1. They will shoot with their ranged weapon until the enemy closes the distance. At which point the Dwarf human will charge into close combat, switching between either weapon with no discernible pattern.

2. You've got shirt, trousers, body and shoes covered, so yep.

3) Is there absolutely no way for humans to ride on camels/horses? I know Dwarves have no such option, but do Modded humans do?

4) Purely incidentally one of my artifacts is a Camel Crown. Is there any way for a Noble to equip it?

3. Nope

4. Nope

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 05:38:01 pm »

3. Well, I actualy went into my raws to make the only rideable creatures Horses, Camels, Elk, Moose, and a special oversidesed Goat, but otherwise theres no way to make a single race only ride a few different mounts.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.