Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF crashing, advice needed 31_25v05  (Read 2289 times)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
DF crashing, advice needed 31_25v05
« on: June 12, 2012, 11:38:42 pm »

31_25v05, Phoebus tileset, 51 year old fort, ~600 000kb in task manager

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seasonally auto-saved on me as I was watching some elves I was blaming for the loss of a woodcutter burn in the depot. Sacrificed a couple of bins of un-exportable masterpiece copper bucklers too.
The game crashed before the end of the first day of the new month.
Tried a fresh install - no difference.
Seems to crash at or near the same frame but I can't see anything abnormal going on.

I have a back-up save from just over two years prior but yet another setback and one that's this big will take a lot of steam out of me.

If anyone can figure anything from the save;
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6487

I really don't want to have to play those two years again, it's a major grind to finish this project as every year is just like the last, but am also worried about possible memory problems that might rear up next time 1st Hematite 101 comes around. I'm too frustrated to think now, need advice/ crazy plan... get obsidianized and shoot glowsticks with the pellet gun, yeah, brb

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: DF crashing, advice needed 31_25v05
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:02:09 am »

I'm not sure, but perhaps at the change of the month, DF goes over its 2GB limit and automatically crashes?

You may wish to try the unofficial 'DF Large Address Aware' patch, but it's experimental and I don't know where to find it.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 01:02:18 am »

Got the application to patch the old version executable file and re-tried - doesn't get one frame farther. Thanks though, there was that glimmer of hope.

I've been getting good (25-30)FPS, it loads and runs normal for 30 or so seconds of the first day or just about 600 frames.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 05:15:48 am »

get dfhack and try autodumping whatever's about to be melted away from there.  The cleaning tool might help as well.

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 05:46:29 am »

51 year old fort

holy shit and i thought my forts are old (abandoned the 31.25 save at 25 years, current is at 27 years)
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 06:37:31 am »

What can you even do in a 51 year old fort?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 06:44:10 am »

What can you even do in a 51 year old fort?

Rest easy knowing that everyone is too hardened to tragedy to ever tantrum again?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 10:52:34 am »

get dfhack and try autodumping whatever's about to be melted away from there.  The cleaning tool might help as well.

Will try, thanks, it's more what i'm trying to do in a 60-65 year fort that matters (flood the embark in magma real fast - but whatever).

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 11:16:18 am »

Will try, thanks, it's more what i'm trying to do in a 60-65 year fort that matters (flood the embark in magma real fast - but whatever).

Wall around the perimeter, use multiple pumpstacks or it'll take decades.  If you try to fill the caverns with magma, start walling the perimeter (as in the cave exits. You can wall right on the map edge underground) from the top or you'll get creatures spawning atop the walls at annoying times and they'll just sit there till they decide to leave the map.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 12:08:35 pm »

The plan is a bit different; a hollow cylindrical tower 43 urists in diameter and 43 urists tall with the top 40 levels constructed entirely of 6500 unsupported obsidian floodgates linked to a water switched pressure plate array. It may take up to 10 years to fill it from my magma system but I think it should flood my 4x3 embark fairly well and possibly fairly deep considering the sheer volume of cubic urists of magma in the Black Cauldron and it's instant release system.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 09:10:30 pm »

Two things;  Magma doesn't pressurize, and it'll flow off the map edge.  Your design's overcomplex in amazing and wonderful ways, but not very effective.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 10:21:57 pm »

Two things;  Magma doesn't pressurize,

My good sir, this is no loosely-planned operation!

The tower is complete with three wall-less pumpstacks to the top fed from three submerged wall-less pumpstacks in 10x10x10 magma buffer reservoirs fed from a central volcano. Once the Cauldron's 50600 cubic urists of (un-pressurized) magma is released onto the plains the pumps can, albeit less quickly, throw the reserved 3000 cubic urists on top for good measure. With approximately 26375 surface tiles around the fort there should be thorough coverage maintaining up to two z-levels deep up to half-way from the fort. Lava wave front speed is the main variable I'm curious to determine.

and it'll flow off the map edge.

I 'm kinda relying on that.

not very effective.

We'll let the ‼elves‼ decide that.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 10:39:21 pm »

Ah, my appologies.  I didn't get what the intent of it was, or the full means to achieve it.  I demand pictures of your glorious magma delivery system, good sir.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 12:22:21 am »

No luck with autodump destroying the items in magma, or clean map units items, tried killing a couple dwarves - it didn't help much. I guess I'll just go back to the back-up save.

The Overseer picture is less then impressive as the obsidian flood gates are not rendered (would look ok if it will render the magma).

Stonesense looks foggy but gives a good idea that the architecture is not meant for looks.

The floor to cap the top is un-started. Work continues replacing constructed walls with obsidian floodgates.

The original plan was to link all 6500 or so floodgates to a single lever (hence the lack of more accessible scaffolding) but it took 4 in-game years to almost finish installing and linking the floodgates for the top two (of forty) floodgate rings so I've already had to replay about five years linking the floodgates to an array of eight pressure plates this time.

This is of course using the basic Fortress Defense mod. You might like the implementation of forum users Hyndis' Magma Hammer as the main siege processor. Water drips in, units check out.

Clipped from my languishing story thread on the history of Stormrack; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87053.0