Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: got tame gcs, how to harvest webs?  (Read 770 times)

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
got tame gcs, how to harvest webs?
« on: June 07, 2012, 04:41:59 am »

I know I need to put enemies in view for it to spray webs, how best to get webs without risking the gcs?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: got tame gcs, how to harvest webs?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:14:11 am »

get a goblin behind some fortifications where it can move around a little, give it a way out with a cage trap to recapture it if you want a break. Chain the spider some way off. Do GCS spit the same way as FB? a whole line? or just at the target? If it's the line, you can just let it spit for a while, get rid of the goblin and clean up. You actually need to get rid of the goblin or prepare for a lot of job cancelations
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:26:01 am »

Is there a way to mod in a reaction for milking a GCS for silk thread? If so, how?
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:07:31 am »

maybe someone on the modding forum knows
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:20:18 am »

Take a look at the Giant Cave Spider article on the wiki - it includes instructions (with a diagram) on how to construct an efficient silk harvesting chamber. Granted, the chamber in question was designed for version 0.31 and earlier, but it should still work just fine.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 01:18:57 pm »

I built an exact copy of the wiki's schematic, and it did not work for me under the 2012 versions. (.7 IIRC)

There's some change in the pathfinding or targeting that makes the spider not fire. I attempted a little !!Science!!, but my spider died (of age apparently) before I managed to figure out what I needed to do.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 03:14:00 pm »

I just built something like this:
______
|  C    |     C = Giant cave spider
|####|     # = Fortifications (If you're using a gobbo, you could use wall bars or wall grates if you want, but fortifications work fine)
|   g   |      g = Gobblin (or whatever enemy you want) (make sure they DON'T have a RANGED attack! Ie. if its a gobbo, take his xbow!)
|####|
|BBBBB|      B = Bridge which opens ^
|        D      D = Door (make sure to lock it when the bridge is down, or some random dwarf with a xbow will wander in a shoot your gobbo)
|_____|       <- Silk collection area.  You can make this area as big as you want.

This design requires a bit of micromanagement, but as long as you never let your dwarves see your gobbo, you should get an infinite supply of silk... Well, until your spider dies of old age.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.