Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Transport Using Minecarts  (Read 2667 times)

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
Dwarf Transport Using Minecarts
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:48:53 pm »

So, I've only just upgraded from .07 and this minecart business is a little tricky. Moving items is good and all, but could I set up minecarts that are purely for being ridden? I have a craving for transport tycoon-esque train stations.

For example, if a dwarf wants to path from the depot to the dining hall so he can eat, could I somehow have him take a minecart there instead? Would he do it automatically when he wants to go there? Or does any dwarf just take the minecart and ride it whether they need to go there or not?

I haven't really tried it yet since I'm a little afraid to dive in, but minecarts have been out long enough I figured someone has tried this by now and might have some experience with it.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Transport Using Minecarts
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 01:07:49 am »

No minecarts cannot be used when another job is active. They are used for hauling stuff between stops. You can get your dwarves to ride them if they have the vehicle moving labor enabled, but not as part of another task.