Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crime and no punishment?  (Read 739 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Crime and no punishment?
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:24:52 am »

My fortress guard isn't responding to any crimes, even when all of them are active and standing right next to the criminal in action. For instance, two dwarves have been beaten to death in my meeting hall (full of idlers) and no crime has been reported. A farmer beat my duchess up so badly she was in hospital for two months. And no crime was listed. I'm not even going to mention the several assaults that have taken place, without my guards responding in any way. Is this a bug, or some sort of "corrupted guard" implement? I have them all armed with crossbows, the captain has all his requirements met, and I have about 20 empty prison cells. (The same kind of setup that I've always used before and it has worked perfectly until now.) Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime and no punishment?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:55:21 am »

If it's caused by [CRAZED] or going berserk, it's not a crime but an external attack on the fortress. Tantruming-related fights should show up on the Justice screen as disorderly conduct. Do they?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:01:22 am »

Nope, the berserkes haven't actually killed anyone yet, since about 50% of my populace is armed. The tantrums are what bugs me, since they really don't show up on the justice screen. I mean, there's also plenty of witnesses every time. Maybe my captain is bugged, since she has always been somewhat strange. She never did her job as a sheriff either, and seems to have some serious issues whit equipment picking. She spends her time running back and forth, equipping something and then dropping her pants and so forth. Should I just try to change the captain of the guard?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 10:10:49 am »

Urist McRaskalnikov has become the ubermench!
Urist McPawnbroker has been struck down.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 10:11:13 am »

Do you have a jail? In my forts, nothing happens if I don't have a jail. Once I make one, then suddenly everybody's Dostoevsky.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:16:53 am »

I believe I said so in the initial message :). This has worked before, so that's why this is strange.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:36:38 pm »

you borked up your captain. Does that dwarf hold other positions? Other uniform conflicts?

dwarfs only wait for so long to report a crime. If the captain is constantly doing other things (pick up equipment, eat, drink, break or sleep) they'll just go back to normal. So your dwarfs got tired of waiting for a meeting and moved on because the captain doesn't have time for them.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.