Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Population grows too quickly?  (Read 5131 times)

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population grows too quickly?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 08:44:43 pm »

I care for my people and will not kill them if I can help it.

But you didn't kill them. The goblins killed them.

;D

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

MOK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 08:08:39 am »

Alright.  Wealth is the key then.

So next time around, I want to create as little as possible, and just make do without caravan trade.

Beyond that, does anyone have tips for keeping wealth down, and extending the early-game without modifying DF?

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 08:21:50 am »

Similar to some of these suggestions, I'm having a blast right now playing a two-dwarf fort.  After many hours of play the fort is 12 years old, has a population of 7 (five children), and a value of just over 50,000*.   I have learned a lot about the game this way that I never would have by playing normally, because I've had a lot more time to pay attention to what is happening.  For example, my "military" is a single marksdwarf who practices at the archery range constantly.  I've never been able to figure out how to get marksdwarves to practice regularly before, but now I understand the military screens well.  (By the way, you can put marksdwarves in a squad, set their alert status to "inactive", and they will go about all their normal duties as if they were a civilian and still practice at the archery range every day.). I have also learned how often a dwarf eats and drinks, how long they sleep, how often they go on break, how long their clothes last and a million other things that I never learned in 2 years playing this game because I was too busy fighting one fire or another to pay attention to any single dwarf.

So if you want a longer early game, I highly suggest turning off your migrants and letting your fort grow by reproduction instead.  It's a different experience.

Personally, I'm going to have to try this. I'm not sure I could swing it with 2 dwarves (children don't count yet right?) but maybe set my pop cap super low and only absorb the first few waves. It does sound educational.

Edit: In regards to OP, yea, population fluxes can be quite a pain. If you can make sure you have enough food and drink and start building up the inidividual sleeping quarters you can usually manage through. Having an adequate dormitory slows the morale rot but can't sustain you forever.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:23:58 am by Viking »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 11:06:54 am »

go to the raws and, as mentioned before, remove the tags in the raws from humans and elves too?
Correct!

To get no diplomats/liaisons/caravans from dwarven civs:
Remove [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN] from [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] in \raw\objects\entity_default.txt

To get no diplomats/liaisons/caravans from elven civs:
Remove [ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING] from [ENTITY:FOREST] in \raw\objects\entity_default.txt

To get no diplomats/liaisons/caravans from human civs:
Remove [ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER] from [ENTITY:PLAINS] in \raw\objects\entity_default.txt

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 01:32:20 pm »

as a slight note, editing the d_init file to limit migrants, children, weather and more is not really modding. I don't limit my population to 60 dwarfs for any other reason than not having the money for a better computer and can't take 200 dwarfs
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2]