Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring accident: happy thought?  (Read 1224 times)

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sparring accident: happy thought?
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:48:00 pm »

Recently I had a sparring accident, killing one of my swordsdwarves.  Checking the idiot who I'm pretty sure caused it, in his thoughts are listed "Took joy in the slaughter recently," right after "lost a friend to tragedy" and "satisfying sparring lesson."  I don't think killing somebody in a sparring accident should give a happy thought at all.

Woodstock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring accident: happy thought?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 10:52:00 pm »

Well... if it's a psychopath dwarf...

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 11:11:00 pm »

Personally, i'd lock him up in the farm and drown him, before any other "sparring accidents" happen.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: John Gaden ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 02:47:00 pm »

There's actually a thought for killing somebody during a sparring session that should take precedence -- but it's likely not to work if the other dwarf bleeds out after the sparring job is cancelled.  If the dwarf was insta-killed, it's more of a straightforward bug.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 03:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>There's actually a thought for killing somebody during a sparring session that should take precedence -- but it's likely not to work if the other dwarf bleeds out after the sparring job is cancelled.  If the dwarf was insta-killed, it's more of a straightforward bug.</STRONG>

Is that thought a happy one or just an "oops" thought? :P

I think we could use wooden weaponry for sparring, it can't be hard to make and it's 50% effective normally anyway.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 03:26:00 pm »

Yeah, I am trying to figure out a cunning way to use wooden weapons when training, then equip with the good stuff when on active duty.  So far no luck getting the lads to store *anything* in the barracks weapon/armor racks, even though I set them to "accept all"  :(  (My plan was to get all the metal stuff stored in one set of racks, switch owners of those to a non-soldier, and switch owners of the wood-containing racks to "barracks", then activate the squad and have them equip from that.  Losses to a few lizardmen ambushes have forced me to curtail the training attempts til a new wave of immigrants comes though  :D )

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 05:06:00 pm »

I dunno about wooden weapons, guys.   In Adv mode, elves can tear things up with wooden swords pretty quick.

Maybe "Practice Weapons" that require wood and cloth?

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 05:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>There's actually a thought for killing somebody during a sparring session that should take precedence -- but it's likely not to work if the other dwarf bleeds out after the sparring job is cancelled.  If the dwarf was insta-killed, it's more of a straightforward bug.</STRONG>

Oh right, I guess I didn't mention HOW he died.  It was from suffocating after the accident.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 01:33:00 am »

Sounds to me like dwarves are awfuly harsh on each other  considering its just trianing... Would be good to have some kind of practis weapons that are automaticly used for sparring if you have any avaible.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 01:49:00 am »

...why not just take away their weapons and train wrestling?  Wrestling boosts defense as well as offense, so once everyone's an ace wrestler they can train with other weapons with less risk.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 02:52:00 am »

A good point, but it would greatly iincrease the amount of time it takes to train people with weapons.