Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How about making a Dwarf Fortress trailer?  (Read 2189 times)

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
Re: How about making a Dwarf Fortress trailer?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 03:39:59 am »

Welcome to the forums, guy! A trailer isn't a bad idea in and of itself, it's just hard to demonstrate the gameplay since it uses ascii characters instead of .bmp icons or some such thing.

Actually, the cutscene that plays when you load up DF is the closest thing we have to a trailer right now. If we took liberties and perhaps made a flash animation that demonstrates the stuff that goes on in the fort, it could work!

WAIT, that reminds me, what happened to the guys who were going to do a boatmurdered animation?
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 05:02:49 am »

The boatmurdered animation? Was looking fantastic and amazing and I had one of the finished stills as my desktop background,

and then the creators had to put it on hold due to finals.

A year later, not a thing has been heard since... :(

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 06:32:38 am »

A trailer really couldn't describe DF, it could raise attention.
BoatMurdered and other succesion forts are the true Hook that gets people to play though as it shows that the game is best when FUN is occurring.

The graphics could either be 'player's mind' or 'actual graphics' maybe splitting between the two? So a scene starts with the ASCII and then transitions into 3D, battle scenes would be nice; a 'g' goes flying towards a wall and then it cuts to a goblin slamming into the wall and exploding into bits. And to show the damage system you could show the ASCII with the combat log messages then cut to a shot of the damage occurring.

I personally "read" DF similar to a book, the symbols have meanings that they don't actually look like(well there are some onomatopoeia such as tables, doors, minecart tracks...). 
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 06:48:32 am »

Looked up Simon Cottee's blog, (the guy making the animation) and found that he's got finals etc, then he can begin work on it in earnest.

In lieu of that, Die Legende von Ungrashzon is a pretty great one, as is that fellow's Adamantine! Praise the Miners! animation.

I mean, Die Legende von Ungrashzon is in German. German sounds dwarfy. :D
Pages: 1 [2]