Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode and initial weapons.  (Read 532 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Adventure mode and initial weapons.
« on: June 03, 2012, 03:56:04 am »

So I decided to create a world were picks are considered weapons for dwarves, which means that mining is available when creating a new adventurer. But when I embarked with this adventurer he had no additional weapon; just the copper spear and dagger. How would you mod the game so you can adventure with a pick without visiting an abandoned fortress?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode and initial weapons.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 04:39:57 am »

I don't know if picks are really considered "weapons" for purposes of adventure mode starting. You could make a duplicate "pick" weapon that used the axe skill or something like that and it would probably work though.

Know this however, you can't dig in adventure mode. Even if you get a weapon that allows you to do so (i.e. a pick) you still can't dig since it's currently not supported.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 05:20:18 am »

Why would I need to make a duplicate pick weapon? All I did was adding [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK] to the mountain entity. This makes mining a weapon skill, but for some reason does not allow me to get a pick when starting an adventure.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:08:05 pm »

I'm just guessing that even though your civilization might consider mining a "weapon" skill, the part of the game itself that determines adventurer starting weapons does not. As such it won't give you pick since it thinks that it isn't really a weapon.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:23:53 pm »

MINING isn't a weapon skill. Thus your adventurer cannot put points into it. Thus you cannot bring the weapon. As i2 said, you need to make a duplicate weapon that uses a different weapon skill. WHIP would probably be the best simply because dwarves won't have any other whip weapons to choose from.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!