Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with stockpiling?  (Read 761 times)

whale_biologist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with stockpiling?
« on: June 01, 2012, 09:19:03 pm »

Hey all, Ive been playing DF for about 3 days now, playing my first fortress. I'm having a hard time making my hauling and stockpiling efficient. I've got wood crafts on the ground outside from when I started the fortress that still havent been stocked into any of my piles. My wood hauler dwarves just sit idle instead of bringing wood into the base about 60% of the time.

I'm not really sure what the best way to organize my stockpiles is yet either. I've got 46 dwarves, and things are pretty centralized right now - I divided up my hauling labors so I had a few dwarves focusing on one or 2 types of loads to haul - which has seemed to help. It's just that the lazy bastards move so damn slowly. I've got 15 assorted beekeepers, Shearers and cheesemakers assigned to hauling duty. (25% of the work force).

I just want to know what strategies you guys have found that makes stockpiling, hauling, and distributing your goods work the best?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with stockpiling?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:27:58 pm »

Did you give your stockpile a wheelbarrow, or a minecart?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Zwaryczuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:31:57 pm »

I like to set up several levels of stockpiles just below my workshop floors. I also keep smaller stockpiles next to workshops for speed of crafting. Then when using the give or take command I ensure the larger stockpile is always filling up the smaller ones. For stones I assign 3 wheelbarrows.

For the large stockpile rooms I always make them 11 x 11, however only specific ones get that big assigned to just themselves.

Hope it helps.

whale_biologist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:49:16 pm »

I was messing with wheel barrows, but I didnt really know what I was doing so I turned them off. The heavy items are the only ones worth assigning them too right?

Zwaryczuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:16:38 pm »

As far as I can tell.

whale_biologist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:50:59 am »

Im starting a new fort this week so I can make fewer mistakes, I'll use your method this time thanks

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 07:58:17 am »

I've got wood crafts on the ground outside from when I started the fortress that still havent been stocked into any of my piles. My wood hauler dwarves just sit idle instead of bringing wood into the base about 60% of the time.
Wood crafts dont count as wood, theyre items(i think), so will be hauled by item haulers.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 08:49:39 am »

Better do what he says. He's a whale biologist.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30