Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tomodachi Life: Is Your Body Ready?  (Read 4120 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Tomodachi Life: Is Your Body Ready?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 12:59:36 am »

This looks too weird for me to not buy it. It's like watching an art film or something.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 05:24:03 am »

It's... a game largely aimed at children, and people want it to portray gay marriage? O.o

Is people of the same gender being intimate with each other more "adult" than people of the opposite gender doing the exact same thing?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:40:24 am by alexandertnt »
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 06:30:54 am »

Asking for gay marriage is just like making any other feature request. I don't see why people treat it like a noble crusade to guarantee their rights or something. I find it hilarious, in fact.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 08:31:57 am »

I want this to be a game that happens for one express reason.  There is a singular point to this game that could make it amazing, and could spawn the greatest thing the world has ever seen.  And that would be "the wrong skew LP" style of let's play.  Imagine the legendary Animal Crossing LP done, with grown men in business suits rolling around on the floor.

For anyone who hasn't seen it - and anyone who has seen it but not recently - make the time to read this:
http://lparchive.org/Animal-Crossing/

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 09:01:21 am »

I've heard that it was a thing in  earlier versions of the game, but it caused the game to destroy itself due to being either a bug, or sloppily implemented. It had something to do with "men" (or as close to a man that the vaguely humanoid tube that is a mii can be, anyways) getting pregnant, and then proceeding to asplode the game with their man-babies.

I'd say the worst thing is that blue is not a selectable hair color. Cobalt miners cannot accurately portray themselves as a mii due to this gross, irresponsible lack of feature.

What! Blue is the best color to dye one's hair!

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 12:47:15 pm »

Asking for gay marriage is just like making any other feature request. I don't see why people treat it like a noble crusade to guarantee their rights or something. I find it hilarious, in fact.
Imagine if Nintendo decided not to include dark skin colors and you might start to understand where the indignation comes from.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 01:10:03 pm »

I love this trailer.

Also if this game is what it says it is it totally should include gay marriage just because it'd be funny.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 01:12:59 pm »

I want this to be a game that happens...

You're in for a treat, because this game is actually a sequel to a Japan-only game, so I figure it's unlikely not to show up.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 11:06:47 am »

Imagine if Nintendo decided not to include dark skin colors and you might start to understand where the indignation comes from.
Personally I would like it if gay marriage was included but it's far from an expression of intolerance and people have totally overblown it. It's clearly not as easy as changing a few lines of code, considering what we've seen of romance. There'd be problems with gay marriage resulting in pregnancies, one person always being treated as wrong gender during romance cutscenes, and probably the most difficult aspect of how to determine if a Mii is gay. Would Miis just randomly be homosexual or would everyone be bisexual, wanting to be married to people regardless of gender? Would the player choose sexuality whenever they created a Mii? How would players react to someone of the same sex hitting on them?
It's simply too much for too little when the game is, to a significant extent, marketed towards children. A Nintendo game isn't really the place for this, especially when the game is just being language ported in the first place.
Anyway, this game looks amazing. I want to have reggie's face appear in my dreams.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 05:48:46 pm »

Nintendo has an official word on the gay relationships thing.

Basically: "we're too late in development to add it now. Whoops. We'll do it next time."

Huh.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 09:34:11 pm »

It's... a game largely aimed at children, and people want it to portray gay marriage? O.o
If it includes hetero marriage, then yes, I don't see why it shouldn't. The existence of gays isn't something which should be hidden away "to protect the children."

But then you're displaying it as an option, basically.
Kids should learn about such things when they're old enough to understand, not go up to their parents and go, "I want to be gay like [CHARACTER] when I grow up!" Would you tell young children all the ins-and-outs of sex when they're in early primary/elementary school?
I guess some people would teach them such things that early, but it's certainly not the done thing where I'm from.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 09:36:23 pm »

If it includes hetero marriage, then yes, I don't see why it shouldn't. The existence of gays isn't something which should be hidden away "to protect the children."

Kids should learn about such things when they're old enough to understand, not go up to their parents and go, "I want to be gay like [CHARACTER] when I grow up!" Would you tell young children all the ins-and-outs of sex when they're in early primary/elementary school?
I guess some people would teach them such things that early, but it's certainly not the done thing where I'm from.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2622

EDIT: Also, it's not like children have no concept of romance. Every friggin' Disney movie has it. The Lion King is 2 seconds away from a sex scene.

Like, it's not like you have to say "Men who like each other have sex by...", no, say "some people like other people of the same sex or gender. It's not a choice. You're too young to know whether you like men, women or both." You don't go into the ins-and-outs of sex when a child asks what marriage is, come on. That's not even an argument.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:43:16 pm by Putnam »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 09:48:51 pm »

...I don't see why learning about the existance of gay marriage requires knowing the ins and outs of sex any more than normal marriage?

Pretty sure little kids get naive impressions of regular heterosexual marriage too. Declaring they want to marry their best friend from school because they're best friends forever etc. Unless "GAY = BAD" for other reasons it doesn't need to be a big deal any more than nongay marriage is. Which is exactly what people are pushing for, here.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 11:48:31 pm »

But it *is* an option. Why exactly is displaying this as an option bad? Is it a worse choice than straight marrage?

Kids should learn about such things when they're old enough to understand
Don't quite understand how they could understand heterosexual marrage but can't understand homosexual marrage.

not go up to their parents and go, "I want to be gay like [CHARACTER] when I grow up!"
Kids do that for everything (including for specifically heterosexual stuff), What exactly is the harm here?

Would you tell young children all the ins-and-outs of sex when they're in early primary/elementary school?
Gay marrage being an option is not the same thing as teaching children the ins-and-outs of sex.

Game's not going to "teach" any of this, it would just be nice if it were an option (and completely harmless for children).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 12:11:42 am »

not go up to their parents and go, "I want to be gay like [CHARACTER] when I grow up!"
Kids do that for everything (including for specifically heterosexual stuff), What exactly is the harm here?
When I was in daycare, I wanted to be 'that guy who changes lightbulbs' because one day the bulb went out, and the maintenance guy came to replace one of the long fluorescent bulbs during the day, and I thought this man was a wizard, by the way he mounted BRAND NEW STICKS OF LIGHT into the whole goddam ceiling.  When you're 4 years old, that's pretty amazing stuff.  (Really, being 24 years old, realizing the implications of just how much science and industry are behind it, it's still pretty amazing.)
Pages: 1 [2]