Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lava/mama cooling into rocks other then obsidian  (Read 1812 times)

Itsdavyjones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lava/mama cooling into rocks other then obsidian
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:00:24 pm »

One thing I have noticed with lava and water reactions is that it only produces obsidian.  Now that is nice in terms of rock type for building, but obsidian is only made from felsic lava.  Felsic being iron poor, and obsidian is produced from cooling lava.  What I propose is that lava cooling produces rocks other then obsidian like granite (if underground) or rhyolite (same molten material, different cooling rate) if felsic or basalt if mafic in nature and everything in between.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lava/mama cooling into rocks other then obsidian
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:09:02 pm »

Yeah, all igneous extrusive rocks should be able to be produced by magma.

However, igneous intrusive rocks, such as granite, form much too slowly to form in the game.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:18:06 pm »

Forming either pahoe'hoe or a'a would be a nice touch. You do NOT want to trip over a'a.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 02:20:35 am »

Forming either pahoe'hoe or a'a would be a nice touch. You do NOT want to trip over a'a.
I'd imagine that you'd yell out with cries of "a'a" if you did.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Itsdavyjones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:47:02 am »

Yeah, all igneous extrusive rocks should be able to be produced by magma.

However, igneous intrusive rocks, such as granite, form much too slowly to form in the game.

Maybe so, but I was just tossing the idea out there.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Lava/magma cooling into rocks other then obsidian
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 04:01:35 pm »

"Mama cooling"?  Heh :)

Anyhow, I like this suggestion.  I don't think the game tracks whether our magma is felsic or mafic, though.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Itsdavyjones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lava/magma cooling into rocks other then obsidian
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »

"Mama cooling"?  Heh :)

Anyhow, I like this suggestion.  I don't think the game tracks whether our magma is felsic or mafic, though.

I don't think that would be to hard though, just have two types of magma, if they mix then the third kind is made.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 06:52:48 pm »

You could treat it like stagnant and salt water, but the problem is the three magmas behave differently.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 07:05:43 pm »

If you've got different types of magma, then should some now advance really slowly (compared with current in-game magma-flows) and some actually be very rapid indeed!

It would certainly make my boring old magma-tapping method a bit more exciting (or need a bit more local research) if there was a possibility that my carefully-honed plans that in part assume a slow flow-rate turned out to be in error on this point...

Also, the self-same method tends to end up with an isolated channel of magma.  I imagine that as it cools (initially from the point the heat-pipes from the forges above are inserted, in order to obtain the working temperatures needed), my magmaduct that is dislocated from the main core-fed magma chamber would eventually become solid (albeit still hot-to-the-touch) rock, of whatever sub-variety.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 09:14:53 pm »

Silica content is key: Magma could have the consistency of olive oil to molasses left in the fridge overnight. Generally, thin flows make pahoe'hoe and thick ones a'a.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Itsdavyjones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 10:00:36 pm »

Silica content is key: Magma could have the consistency of olive oil to molasses left in the fridge overnight. Generally, thin flows make pahoe'hoe and thick ones a'a.

And silica content affects what the magma/lava cools into. High silica, rhyolite or obsidian, low silica, basalt.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 05:27:51 am »

Oh goddammit it, now you've done it... another day wasted on Wikipedia.
Sus cancels Work: interrupted by volcanology.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.