Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What the heck are Keas and why can they just simply walk through doors?  (Read 1938 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a warehouse on the surface, and these flying rats are simply flying through the doors of the warehouse and jacking my stuff!
The game says these are parrots? How can parrots steal trap components? And how can they simply fly through a door? Isn't a door supposed to stop enemies and force them to break it down first?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a warehouse on the surface, and these flying rats are simply flying through the doors of the warehouse and jacking my stuff!
The game says these are parrots? How can parrots steal trap components? And how can they simply fly through a door? Isn't a door supposed to stop enemies and force them to break it down first?

Keas are basically parrots.  I don't know anything about the door stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kea

I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

slaytanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my DFFD pack

Keas are apparently kleptos with a really bad heroin habit...
are your doors set as pet passable ? if set tightly closed I've watched pets follow dwarves in and out when they aren't supposed to.
So let me get this straight....We are talking monkeys living on a dirt ball that circles a fireball ? WTF ?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

Kea have [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] i think, so they attempt to fly into your fort and steal any items they can find.
Of course this leads to hilarious mental images given Kea aren't that big, and watching them slowly fly away with a huge chair or something like that.

Supposedly, in real life, Kea have the intelligence of a six year old, though I don't think that's been verified yet.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but does your outdoor warehouse not have a roof?  You might even need a roof directly over the door too.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Keas in real life actually are smart enough to do things like turn door handles and pick locks, so opening locked doors isn't much of a stretch for them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

keas have so far been reported to fly off with furniture, statues and minecarts. If they ever start snatching babies we're in trouble

have some dogs stationed at the door to either scare off or kill the keas
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

keas have so far been reported to fly off with furniture, statues and minecarts. If they ever start snatching babies we're in trouble
Are they African or European keas?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

Are they African or European keas?

neither, they only live in forested and alpine regions of the South Island of New Zealand. (nice try for monty python reference, but sometimes it just doesn't work)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

I love how intelligent they are. They're my second favourite bird, second only to kakapo.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Keas in game are annoying.  Outside the game I have no quarrel with 'em.

I think peregrine falcons are better though.  Inside the game they kill vermin, obviating the need for cats and the risk of catsplosion if you can get 'em.  Outside the game, what's not to like about a bird which attacks by means of a 200mph talon punch which stuns or kills the victim in mid-air, and which thrives rather than dying off when urban development moves in?

They also look neat, which is unimportant but still a plus.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile

Keas in real life actually are smart enough to do things like turn door handles and pick locks, so opening locked doors isn't much of a stretch for them.
I doubt real-life keas would ever steal a *lead mine cart*, however. :P
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile

neither, they only live in forested and alpine regions of the South Island of New Zealand. (nice try for monty python reference, but sometimes it just doesn't work)

Kinda missed the Monty Python reference there. I think it works with carrying and all that.
http://youtu.be/rzcLQRXW6B0

Anyway Keas in real life are a real menace, just like in the game. I've seen documentaries about them stripping down many mechanical things just because they can.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:48:17 am by caddybear »
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online

They are not TRAPAVOID, however, so a row of traps will dispose of them.  Too bad Dwarves won't eat trap-chopped kea.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:16:41 am by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.