Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attaching a new bodypart to head - errors  (Read 781 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Attaching a new bodypart to head - errors
« on: May 31, 2012, 01:52:35 pm »

This is my first go at creature modding. I'm making a moogle race for personal use. A couple of moogle mods already exist, but lack the level of detail I'm going for-- specifically, the addition of one very iconic detail...

Moogles have a small round object attached to their heads, via an antenna. It's their 'pompom'.

I'm trying to:

1) Create the antenna and pompom bodyparts, and
2) attach the antenna to the head, followed by the pompom to the antenna.

I would like these things to exist physically in the game world, such that a moogle could be latched onto by its antenna/pompom, or have them ripped off, or smashed, etc. Also, I want the pompom to be specifically attached to the antenna, NOT directly to the head. I'm fairly certain this is possible, somehow.

In the Creature file, I've set up the body like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I then have a body_moogle file to define SIMPLE_JOINTS, MOOGLE_ANTENNA, MOOGLE_POMPOM and 2FLIGHTLESSWINGS:

I also have a tissue template to define the antenna and pompom materials:

and finally a body detail plan, which frankly I don't know I even need, but in the process of trying to get this to work, I created it anyway:

Now, these are the errors the game gives:

*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_moogle.txt"
MOOGLE:Body Token Recognized But Could Not Connect: MOOGLE_ANTENNA
MOOGLE:Body Token Recognized But Could Not Connect: MOOGLE_POMPOM
MOOGLE:Tissue layer not added because no BP found: BY_CATEGORY:ANTENNA:POMPOM

I sort of understand what it's complaining about, but I don't know how to go about fixing it. I've tried the solutions I thought would help, but I haven't had any success yet. I'm absolutely certain I've either missed an important piece of the puzzle, or outright shoved a puzzle piece into the wrong hole. :)

Any help would be muchos appreciated!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Attaching a new bodypart to head - errors
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:13:47 pm »

[BODY:MOOGLE_ANTENNA]
   [BP:ANTENNA:antenna:antennae][SMALL][CON:HEAD][CATEGORY:ANTENNA]
      [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:50]

[BODY:MOOGLE_POMPOM]
   [BP:POMPOM:pompom:STP][CON:MOOGLE_ANTENNA][CATEGORY:POMPOM]
      [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:100]

the problem is this, Your trying to attach the Antenna to HEAD which is a TYPE you are using CON which means "Connect to BP TOKEN" either say
CON:HD
or
CONTYPE:HEAD

and with your Pompom your trying to attach it the the INSTANCE either use
CON:ANTENNA
or
CON_CAT:ANTENNA

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:27:06 pm »

Thank you! That appears to have fixed those errors.

Now I am getting this:

MOOGLE:FEMALE:pompom: No tissue thickness
MOOGLE:MALE:pompom: No tissue thickness

But I do have tissue thickness defined in the tissue file...
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:01:40 pm »

yuo have those tissues and materials defined. But nothing is being done with the tissues. It's like you baked a cake, and you are looking at it. wondering why your not eating it, take action.

[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_TOKEN:ANTENNA:HAIR]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_TOKEN:POMPOM:SPONGE]

if you get farther issues with TISSUE does not exsist, used first. that means the TISSUEs haven't been defined either

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 03:19:22 pm »

Hmm... but I have defined them. The tissue file says [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SPONGE] and the body file says [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:POMPOM:POMPOM_TEMPLATE].

I added the two lines you gave into the body file and am getting the "used first" error you mentioned. I'm confused; am I defining these tissues in the wrong place?

This is what's in the body file now:

Code: [Select]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:ANTENNA:ANTENNA_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_TOKEN:ANTENNA:HAIR]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:ANTENNA:TOP]

[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:POMPOM:POMPOM_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_TOKEN:POMPOM:SPONGE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ANTENNA:POMPOM:TOP]

The tissue file (see first post) is unchanged.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 03:50:11 pm »

Edit: Tried a few more things, I think I'm just going in circles now. I've stopped in a position where my only error is the "no tissue thickness" on the Pompom bodypart. I have a feeling this is because it uses Sponge material, specifically LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SPONGE, but what's probably going wrong here is that tag is looking for pre-existing Sponge material in the moogle's body which just doesn't exist.

Problem is, I don't know how to add it. I tried adding [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SPONGE_TEMPLATE] to the body, but this didn't seem to help.

I did some arena testing and successfully managed to rip a moogle's antenna off, which also broke off its pompom, but I couldn't find the pompom on the ground. I think it disappeared. I'm assuming this is due to the aforementioned error.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:23:13 pm by Moogie »