Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Previous-Name chronicles  (Read 880 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
The Previous-Name chronicles
« on: May 30, 2012, 11:26:46 pm »

So, here's the game.

One person writes a single paragraph consisting of no more than three sentences. The next person notes the numeric location in the english alphabet of each of the letters in the name of the person who posted before them. Those numbers are then used to count along the paragraph, writing each letter as it's found. Those letters are anagrammed to form a word. Using that word, they write another paragraph in an attempt to further the story as a whole.

For example; I write: "The catapult was huge" Urist said, spreading his arms wide in an attempt to show his friends just how big it was. "Bah, you're lying. No catapult could be so big" Thobok huffed, drinking his ale. "I never lie!" Urist cried, slamming his fist on the bench and splattering himself with plump helmet soup.

Let's say the next person to post was Toady.

T= 20
O= 15
A= 1
D= 4
Y= 25

I would count 20 letters along the paragraph, then write that letter down. In this case, it's the R in Urist. The next letter is the H from huge. Following this, we get RHTCA. For the anagram, we'll go with chart.

Using this word as the focal point of my paragraph while extending the story, I could write something like;

"Oh, shut up Urist. The charts over there clearly show the maximum size of catapults" Thobok said, pointing to the wall. Urist glanced at them once before shrugging. "Clearly wrong. Those charts are decades old; technology has advanced far more since they were made".

Let's see what kind of story we get. Use the paragraph above and go for it!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
Re: The Previous-Name chronicles
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 11:40:05 pm »

What if our username has numbers?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:47:12 pm »

The next person notes the numeric location in the english alphabet of each of the letters in the name of the person who posted before them.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 11:52:33 pm »

This is just too confusing for me. I am not able to participate.

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 12:16:10 am »

So, if I'm doing this right, the letters I need to make a word out of are...ORORUH.

I got nothing.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:25:41 am »

Azated
A=1
z=26
a=1
t=20
e=5
d=4

"Oh, shut up Urist. The charts over there clearly show the maximum size of catapults" Thobok said, pointing to the wall. Urist glanced at them once before shrugging. "Clearly wrong. Those charts are decades old; technology has advanced far more since they were made".

ohshutupuristthechartsover

1=O
26=r
1=o
20=r
5=u
4=h

"ororuh"

Anagram = "or hour"

My turn:

Urist considered this, but was not convinced, "Decades old? Or hours old? I think these charts are more modern than you realize. And since I'm in command, we're going to use them. The orcish siege will not wait while we squabble."

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 02:47:33 am »

The next person notes the numeric location in the english alphabet of each of the letters in the name of the person who posted before them.

Sure, we'll go with that. I mean, I really did think of people with numbers. Seriously. I did.  8)

Urist considered this, but was not convinced, "Decades old? Or hours old? I think these charts are more modern than you realize. And since I'm in command, we're going to use them. The orcish siege will not wait while we squabble."

I think you got Urist and Thobok mixed up... or I did.   ???
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:51:34 am by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.

"You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 03:39:50 am »

I think you got Urist and Thobok mixed up... or I did.

"No smoking section available."

Does that mean that no "smoking section" is available, or does it mean that a "no smoking" section is available?

The grammar is ambiguous. Ordinarily there would be a paragraph indent between speakers. There was not. I interpreted it as that Thobok was speaking and Urist shrugged in the middle of it rather than that Thobok spoke and Urist responded.

In any case, if the next poster wishes to reply to the alternate interpretation, then replace the above with:

"Thobok considered this, but was not convinced, "Decades old? Or hours old? I think these charts are more modern than you realize. And since I'm in command, we're going to use them. The orcish siege will not wait while we squabble."

But personally I think it will be more awesome if Urist is the one in charge.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 01:08:36 pm »

I think you got Urist and Thobok mixed up... or I did.
The grammar is ambiguous. Ordinarily there would be a paragraph indent between speakers. There was not. I interpreted it as that Thobok was speaking and Urist shrugged in the middle of it rather than that Thobok spoke and Urist responded.

But personally I think it will be more awesome if Urist is the one in charge.

I read it as Urist suddenly changing his/her mind and deciding the charts were newer than he/she thought a second ago.

I've always thought of 'Urist' as being a generic name for some stupid dwarf that does something horribly wrong, despite the fact that the real Urist was pretty damn awesome.