Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Darkspawn  (Read 1177 times)

Bathunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Darkspawn
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:32:37 am »

I tend to mod in a lot of things for myself. While I probably won't realease my mod (as it has races for a story I'm writing, and I want to release that), I put in races from other ficition. So for now, I started on the Darkspawn. They don't function in a way I like yet (no corrupted blood or anything of the nature), but if someone else wants the data, here is what I done so far. Besides, I modding in so many things, perhaps someone else want to finish the Dark-spawn.

Creature Raw
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Entity Raw
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As one can see, no corrupted blood, no special attack except for Archdemon fire breath, need their own langauge (and still not be understood by other races), need to work on their art and gods and stuff.

Oh, and if anyone wants, I made Worms, Neon Genesis Angels (Very incomplete, but playable and powerful. Hope you have lot of cotton candy), Doom Demons [Focuses on Doom 1 and 2] (who have not been updated to use interactions and don't seem to spawn. I plan on making them into a civ at some point instead of wild animals. Wait, now I can make the Archfiend  :D) and Yoma from Claymore (Guess what? Also incomplete. But FUN!)
Join Operation Hellstorm. Help the worms escape oppression.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95404.0

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Darkspawn
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:19:29 am »

nice sounds cool might try it out to see but  shouldnt a broodmother be immobile to land due to the fact she would be rooted to the ground?

Bathunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:27:54 am »

She should be, but I find that having immobile beings isn't A) very fun, B) the AI won't feed them very often.

My policy when modding is to keep it fun to use. Yeah, having immobile Broodmothers is accurate, but not fun (in the traditional sense, not the Dwarf Fortress sense. Cause is it certainly the latter), but it is a pain in a lot of ways. Maybe when the AI improves, I can switch it back.
But for now, I have to work on interactions, materials, unique weapons, all that fun stuff.

See, my problem with modding is that I always been quantity over quality. I have a lot of modded races, but not with a whole lot of effort. So I going back and fixing that.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:40:30 am »

Yea right now I'd leave the IMMOBILE tag alone, That tag prevents breeding in fortress mode

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 01:15:06 pm »

For Broodmother: [PET], so they are edicated breeders instead of marrying. For all of them, [CAN_LEARN] instead of [INTELLIGENT] as they have no language and ability to speak, unless you include a rare speaking caste. Having no speakers makes them automatically hostile to [INTELLIGENT] and  [CAN_SPEAK] races. [UTTERANCES] can be used for the same effect. Warning, [INTELLIGENT] which means [CAN_LEARN]+[CAN_SPEAK] conflicts with [UTTERANCES] which means they won't use language, just random gibberish.

All in all, [UTTERANCES] can cause loyalty cascades in adventurer mode, and IMHO Darkspawn would be an awesome race, but only as enemies, not a player-controllable race. In which case, [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK][NO_SLEEP] are probably canon anyway. And if you create a [GHOUL] and a [BROODMOTHER] creature you can make a transformation syndrome into those.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Bathunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 02:43:50 pm »

I think I can do Ghouls. But I don't know about the Broodmother one. It possible, but I can't think of any way to have the Broodmother breed with Darkspawn or produce Darkspawn children if it is a separate creature. Of course, I don't have too much experience with Interactions (I can only do material emissions or syndrome) but if it allows me too, I might be able to pick a certain caste to transform to. We see.

As for playable civ, I always leave that on civs that I play-test, even if they're not meant to be playable. I do agree that they would probably be better as pure enemies. Better than goblins by any means, and less generic than orcs (unless we get some proper boyz!).

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 03:12:31 pm »

haha to your Orkz I prefer LoTR orcs, there are too many warhammer orcs.

But to your Broodmothers, it all depends. If controllable you can have a very rare pet caste BROODMOTHER and a very rare male caste BREEDER and the very common children that are INTELIGENT and lack all PET realted tags. at birth they secreate a contact syndrome that transfroms them into a darkspawn. and Tada, you have a darkspawn slave working for you.