Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Hospital Cloth Hoard  (Read 2477 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
The Hospital Cloth Hoard
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:33:03 am »

Okay, so I'm having problems with my textile industry, since my dwarves have started hauling ALL thread and cloth to my hospital, exceeding my max limit heavily. Cloth limit is currently 1500 (lowest) and yet they just keep on hoarding my cloth there, so the amount is currently over 5000. Any way to fix this? Help would be appreciated, since my dwarves are complaining of their ragged clothes.

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hospital Cloth Hoard
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:06:42 am »

I think I saw this reported as a bug..
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:06:43 pm »

it happens when even one of the hospital items can't be filled to max, dwarfs will even raid visiting caravans.

Most players either don't set the stores to exceed what they have for each item or don't build any chests etc inside the hospital so nothing will be stored there
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

cooky173

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:26:16 pm »

It is a bug. i reported it very early for the 2010 release. i dont think its a high priority as the workaround is to only have a coffer or two in the hospital.

something i havent tried is setting the quantities of cloth and thread to zero.

Final thought is i believe the issue relates to checking if a get string or cloth job should be created doesnt take into account the stuff already being carried. so if u forbid most of your cloth and thread and build your chests once they get over the limit u should be safe  to unforbid the rest.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:23:56 pm »

I added this workaround to the Wiki's health care article just yesterday. Simply put, don't use containers in your hospital. Instead, designate separate stockpiles for soap, splints, crutches, buckets, thread and cloth as close as possible. For a small/well-managed fort, 5 (no-bins-allowed) tiles for each of the former four is enough. For the latter two, a single stockpile tile that allows bins is more than enough.

I use this method myself, guaranteed 100% working because medics pick up the stuff from the closest stockpile anyway, not exclusively from the hospital.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 08:29:27 pm »

Adding to the above, it may be a good idea to have just the soap stashed in the hospital. Make sure the game is paused before you set the hospital zone and change the defaults so that there's no chance for dwarves to try and use the default settings to stock the hospital.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 05:54:44 am »

Am I alone in building 8 coffers and letting the hospital take as much stuff as it likes? The traders bring absolute heaps of all the hospital supplies. I never run out of buckets, cloth etc. I like to have a large stockpile in the hospital, because a single injured dwarf can go through a bunch of cloth and thread. So the hospital actually does need to have a vast hoard of the stuff.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 07:25:21 am »

Am I alone in building 8 coffers and letting the hospital take as much stuff as it likes? The traders bring absolute heaps of all the hospital supplies. I never run out of buckets, cloth etc. I like to have a large stockpile in the hospital, because a single injured dwarf can go through a bunch of cloth and thread. So the hospital actually does need to have a vast hoard of the stuff.

The problem comes when the over-stocking of cloth either fills the hospital leaving no room for soap, or takes all cloth away from your clothier. However:

Adding to the above, it may be a good idea to have just the soap stashed in the hospital. Make sure the game is paused before you set the hospital zone and change the defaults so that there's no chance for dwarves to try and use the default settings to stock the hospital.

Is a very good idea too.
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:28:05 am »

I have soap in the stockpile as well, the problem is that my dwarves just keep on hoarding and hoarding stuff there, even though there are only 5 chests in the hospital. Changing the limits won't work, so I'll be removing the chests then. There's already a general purpose stockpile (I'm lazy, I just make these huge storage rooms for everything but stones, wood and gems) nearby, which contains mainly textiles since my massive loom/clothier compound is nearby. My population is over 200, but there hasn't been any injuries lately. So I guess I won't be needing all those supplies in my hospital.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 10:30:18 am »

Depending on your way of playing, you should (ideally) never see the need for a hospital, anyway. I see my own health care system as a sign of my past failures to understand the physics of cave-ins, that bridges don't support things, and that "rocks fall, everyone dies" also applies when I'm deconstructing things.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 10:48:48 am »

Well, fighting goblins face-to-face can sometimes lead to minor injuries, even when one's army is well-prepared. I sometimes also have to suture some woodcutters, since goblin thieves and ambushes usually can't be predicted. For instance, when a master woodcutter/carpenter gets his hand cut off by a panicing child snatcher, it's good to have a way of treating him. I have to admit though, that my hospital hasn't been expanded for a decade. There's no need for more than 10-bed hospital, when injuries become rare, but I don't think having a hospital is a sign of poor skill.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 01:07:46 pm »

Am I alone in building 8 coffers and letting the hospital take as much stuff as it likes?
Normally by the time I'm ready to set up a dedicated hospital I have a textile industry up and running, so the hospital would get crammed full of my good thread and cloth and very little else. When the beds and containers are in place and ready to be turned into a hospital zone, I forbid most of the containers and set the hospital up to take nothing but the first item on the list. Then once the hospital zone is overflowing with that I reclaim some containers and allow some of the next item in the list.

In future I might do this for just thread, cloth, soap, and buckets (which might be stored correctly anyway?). Everything else is either non-emergency supplies, or has no other use, or both.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 01:22:01 pm »

Wouldnt it be easier to forbid most of the cloth/thread when building the first coffer in the hospital?
Unforbid them again after sufficient amounts of soap/plaster are in the hospital containers.
(a>b) ? false : true

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 01:57:31 pm »

in which case they'll hoard any of the other stuff and your cloth is still not available for use. I think there was a thread here a bit ago that had the hospital hoard buckets
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.