Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Falling items and construction scaffolding  (Read 1213 times)

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Falling items and construction scaffolding
« on: May 27, 2012, 12:56:36 pm »

So, with the new "falling items hurt" update, I've discovered that I don't know how to use scaffolding anymore. I used to just build up/down staircases where needed, but now deconstructing the scaffolding after the fact almost invariably kills the dwarf doing the deconstructing as the stone block from the upper staircase falls and crushes his skull. Any ideas on how to work around this?

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Falling items and construction scaffolding
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 12:58:22 pm »

Oh wow...I usually do the same thing and this little problem had not yet occurred to me. Time for all masons to wear steel hard-hats.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 03:55:50 am »

So that's a "no solution" then? Fudge. Any alternate scaffolding recommendations?

Edit: Just saw the front page. Yayyy. :D

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you will find the magma leak eventually.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:01:51 am »

Well it says:

stopped deconstructors from dropping items on their heads *at times*

What about dropping something on the scaffolding from the top? Like building a floor supporting a block and above the scaffold and then deconstructing the floor? Assuming you're building something with stairs on the inside this might work...

Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 09:17:13 am »

deconstruct your scaffolds with supports.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you will find the magma leak eventually.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:41:45 am »

You sir are a genius and may have just saved some poor dorf's life. Although they worship the god of suicide, so maybe I should put the lever under the support?
Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.