Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-alcoholic drinks  (Read 3193 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Non-alcoholic drinks
« on: May 28, 2012, 05:32:29 pm »

It would be cool to have the ability to make non-alcoholic drinks in addition to the standard alcoholic ones. If that doesn't seem dwarfy enough, some of them could also be precursors to alcoholic drinks (ie. apple cider gets distilled into jacked cider/jersey lightning)

Also, creatures without the [Alcohol_Dependent] tag should get drunk from drinking too much alcohol.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-alcoholic drinks
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 05:34:10 pm »

there is milk, but you can't drink it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 05:46:08 pm »

I know we have a few coffee and tea threads around here somewhere, but I don't feel like searching for them right at the moment. 

Milk, fruit juices (pre-fermentation), and coffee and tea would be the only drinks really available (aside from water, naturally) that were not alcoholic, and most people drank watered down alcohol all the time historically, unless they were drinking tea. So really, there aren't all that many other kinds of drinks to add, and there isn't really much that they would add.

The only thing that would make this make sense would be adding that "drunk" syndrome.

However, now that I think about it, we could possibly add syndromes to all the alcohols that make different alcohols have different subtle effects - like an alcohol that makes you looser-tongued than other alcohols, or the like.  Coffee and tea giving you more focus, and dwarves having to find a way to make an alcoholic tea to benefit from it.

Basically, the only way I could see this working well is if you focused on playing up the syndrome aspect.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 06:38:54 pm »

Oh, we can mod in other drinks, yes, but as is they're all tagged as alcoholic.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:33:18 am »

What is this game called?
Dwarf Fortress.
Dwarves shouldn't get drunk, or at least when drunk it wouldn't be noticeable. Once other races start getting drunk, elves can have juice, and humans can have tea, and kobolds can have coffee, and whatever, but for dwarves, ale and wine is the way to go. Dwarves are unlikely to drink that non-alcoholic stuff with a ten-foot...straw...but might in extreme circumstances.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 08:51:20 am »

I know we have a few coffee and tea threads around here somewhere, but I don't feel like searching for them right at the moment. 

Milk, fruit juices (pre-fermentation), and coffee and tea would be the only drinks really available (aside from water, naturally) that were not alcoholic, and most people drank watered down alcohol all the time historically, unless they were drinking tea. So really, there aren't all that many other kinds of drinks to add, and there isn't really much that they would add.

The only thing that would make this make sense would be adding that "drunk" syndrome.

However, now that I think about it, we could possibly add syndromes to all the alcohols that make different alcohols have different subtle effects - like an alcohol that makes you looser-tongued than other alcohols, or the like.  Coffee and tea giving you more focus, and dwarves having to find a way to make an alcoholic tea to benefit from it.

Basically, the only way I could see this working well is if you focused on playing up the syndrome aspect.
Well, in the middle east, where the Islam forbid alchoholic drinks and most people were Islamitic, coffee became really popular really quickly. From the book on coffee that I have, they mention that it was usually drank as hot and dark as possible. Sometimes however, they would put herbs and spices in it. There was a special variation which was made from only the coffee berry which was called 'sultan's coffee'. There was also wine made from the coffee-berry, which they also just called coffee(or well, used the same word as they used for regular coffee).

Tea culture is really big in Asia. There's the regular green tea and white tea which is drunk throughout the most part of east-asia, but in India people drink black tea, sometimes with milk and spices resulting in masala chai.

In Europe IIRC, people drank herbal tea.

If anything, it would be a nice cultural alternative, especially great for groups that aren't allowed to drink alchohol.

Do note that if you start adding stimulating drinks, you open the way(modding) for other kinds of drugs. Hell, you're opening the way for food deficiencies and the like. Urist ate too much honey? Well say hello to a sugar-rushing dwarf. Urist eats too little veggies? Well, there goes his immune system. Urist has cave-adaption? Winter depression, anyone?(Though I'd imagine that Dwarves have a sufficiently different physiology to allow them to live in caves, and probably get their vitamine D from somewhere else)

Though, of course, that will require for Urist to try and eat a balanced diet as default AI. I doubt players are jumping to micromanage their dwarves so they'll eat veggies.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:00:48 am »

Dwarf Fortress.
Dwarves shouldn't get drunk, or at least when drunk it wouldn't be noticeable. Once other races start getting drunk, elves can have juice, and humans can have tea, and kobolds can have coffee, and whatever, but for dwarves, ale and wine is the way to go. Dwarves are unlikely to drink that non-alcoholic stuff with a ten-foot...straw...but might in extreme circumstances.

No, what I said was that everything else (everything without the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag) should get drunk for reasons of contrast.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 12:16:03 pm »

kobolds can have coffee

Don't ask where the "beans" come from.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:44:20 pm »

I certainly think dwarves should get drunk, they just should use their super-sized livers to be able to handle several times as much alcohol as a human can. 

I rather think dwarves could get drunk, but it takes slamming back either the stronger spirits or just going through a whole keg just to get tipsy. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 12:56:32 pm »

dwarves...on coffee?? DWARVES!?!?

"Do stupid things faster and with more energy," INDEED!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 01:37:45 pm »

Well, it is not just Dwarves. Non-alcoholic beverages would be useful for some mods. That said, this is a low priority request.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 02:11:11 pm »

Can't you just mod in some Miller Lite?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 03:06:09 pm »

Dwarf Fortress.

No, what I said was that everything else (everything without the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag) should get drunk for reasons of contrast.
*rereads OP*
Yup, you sure did. My bad.

I certainly think dwarves should get drunk, they just should use their super-sized livers to be able to handle several times as much alcohol as a human can. 
I rather think dwarves could get drunk, but it takes slamming back either the stronger spirits or just going through a whole keg just to get tipsy. 
I don't think that it would be good, gameplay-wise, for dwarves to get noticably drunk from the amounts of alcohol they normally consume. Maybe a bit of dizziness for an in-game day or so for a normal drink, but they should probably need to drink most of a barrel to get disoriented. That'll be entirely possible when drinking contests get implemented, though...Maybe dwarves should get drunk.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 05:20:53 pm »

I don't think that it would be good, gameplay-wise, for dwarves to get noticably drunk from the amounts of alcohol they normally consume. Maybe a bit of dizziness for an in-game day or so for a normal drink, but they should probably need to drink most of a barrel to get disoriented. That'll be entirely possible when drinking contests get implemented, though...Maybe dwarves should get drunk.

That's basically my point - they don't get drunk downing quantities of beer for simple satiation. 

The idea is they only get drunk if you have something like a distilled hard liquor with very high concentrations of alcohol (like 180-proof vodka) or are drinking massively in excess. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 05:40:47 pm »

Well, NW_Kohaku, there are two reasons I posted that.

A. I'm a bit uncertain of the gameplay benifets of having dwarves get noticably drunk from a single drink of some kind of drink.
B. That's the kind of thing that happens when I keep thinking about the post while typing it. Maybe that's not the best way to put it, maybe saying "I don't finish thinking about the post before starting to type it," but sometimes when I do something would occur to me as I'm typing it and oh look, there I go again. I'll stop thinking before I overly inflate this post too much more.
Sig