Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tell me about the dwarfiest computer  (Read 1228 times)

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tell me about the dwarfiest computer
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:18:42 pm »

Not, y'know, dwarfputing. I'm not clever enough for that. I mean what real-life machine can run Dwarf Fortress at the most FPS? I am thinking an i5-3570k is probably it, but I'm not sure how fast that will go. I want to do a 16x16 embark and each dwarf will have their own personal fortress. I intend for there to be a volcano in the middle of the map and that is where I want to put the trade depot, so there will be lots of fluids going around.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about the dwarfiest computer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:07:39 pm »

Not, y'know, dwarfputing. I'm not clever enough for that. I mean what real-life machine can run Dwarf Fortress at the most FPS? I am thinking an i5-3570k is probably it, but I'm not sure how fast that will go. I want to do a 16x16 embark and each dwarf will have their own personal fortress. I intend for there to be a volcano in the middle of the map and that is where I want to put the trade depot, so there will be lots of fluids going around.

Why the i5 instead of the i7?  Isn't 7 > 5?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about the dwarfiest computer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:50:26 am »

This RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231538

Solid state drive.

Processor would require a bit of research for me to confidently say which is best. You don't want raw speed, but you do want a large and fast cache. I'm not sure what kind of CPU benchmarks to compare DF on.