Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building minecart tracks (also, silver helmets and mosquito breeding)  (Read 722 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I decided to play around with the new minecart system a little bit. I want to set up a simple route that takes food from the pile near the farms and brings it down one level to the secondary food pile near the kitchens and dining room. The bottom half was carved in natural stone with no problems and looks like a proper continuous track, including the ramps. However, the top half is in the dirt layer and has to be constructed. I don't really understand what all the different directions mean in the construction menu (aside from the corners and intersections) and when I tried to build multiple tiles of track, it appears as disjointed tiles instead of a continuous one. Can someone please explain to me how to properly build the damn thing.

Also, is silver armor any good? I got artifact silver helm and I wanna give it to my militia commander, 'cause he'll look like a pimp.
And finally, can giant mosquitoes breed? I got pair that are somewhat trained and want to try raising them as war animals. (if yes, do they need a nestbox?)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Not sure about the minecarts thing, but I'm pretty sure silver armor is trash.  It's penetrated too easily by any metal weapon (except silver edged weapons).  It's an artifact, so that helps, but I doubt it will make up for the fact that it's silver.

I also don't think giant mosquitoes can breed.  If I recall correctly the templated applied to them modifies the mosquito creature, which can't breed.  I think someone tried this with giant grasshoppers or something and it didn't work.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

I also don't think giant mosquitoes can breed.  If I recall correctly the templated applied to them modifies the mosquito creature, which can't breed.  I think someone tried this with giant grasshoppers or something and it didn't work.

the giant bugs have their own raws I think, but they lack any child tags. Furthermore, MAXAGE is 1:1, so unless you change that it's a doomed breeding program
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

the giant bugs have their own raws I think, but they lack any child tags. Furthermore, MAXAGE is 1:1, so unless you change that it's a doomed breeding program

Oh, the MAXAGE thing was what I was thinking about.  Yeah, in either case it won't work.  Easy to mod yourself though.  Just add the child tags and increase the max age to like 10:15 or something reasonable.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For minecarts, ignore the directions like (SWE), cause those will just confuse you. Instead look at how they look like. They appear just like you would expect tracks to look when viewed from top-down.

So, a track that looks like
Code: [Select]
=means the cart can go on it left and right, or "horizontally".

A track piece that looks like
Code: [Select]
||means the cart will go up/down, or "vertically".

The Connections will then start to make sense.
Feeling down? Click Here!