Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress won't save????  (Read 2398 times)

neBze

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress won't save????
« on: May 29, 2012, 03:45:28 pm »

Hi,

I am a newb to dwarf fortress so I decided to get the lazy newb pack. So far the game has been really fun and I have been enjoying myself, however I have a major problem. My lazy newb pack is in a winRAR document... all I do is press on the Lazy Newb Pack.exe and it opens normally. Then the Lazy Newb Pack starting screen comes up. I change the graphics and what not and press play dwarf fortress. When I am done playing I make sure I save the game. Then after I save the game and stuff I shutdown dwarf fortress. Here is the problem. When I close out on the Lazy Newb Pack starting screen it seems to loose all my saved stuff. So in order to make sure I do not loose any progress I am forced to keep my Lazy Newb Pack starting screen on which is annoying because I can't shit my cpu down at night.

P.S

Whenever I close down the Lazy Newb Pack and reopen it via winRAR it seems as though I did not make any changes to the settings as well. I always have to keep on changing the graphics. (hopefully this is another clue in solving the problem!!)

Thanks so much, neBze

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress won't save????
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »

You need to extract the files from the archive to a folder on your hard drive, and then play the game from that folder.

VVV insta-ninja'd

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress won't save????
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »

You need to extract everything from the .rar to another folder somewhere on your computer. Running programs from inside usually causes some annoying problems.

EDIT: Ninja'd by a few milliseconds!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy