Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Increasing number of tiles or ability to assign graphics to items  (Read 4424 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing number of tiles or ability to assign graphics to items
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 09:35:31 am »

NW_Kohaku: I beieve you when you say that the texture thingy would be possible, but I'm a bit fuzzy on how you'd be able to do it with puny little 16X16 pixel tiles, or whatever size is the default. Unless there's a way to have a bunch of random pixels of the tile specked with a different color, defined in the raws? Like, [SPECK_COLOR:3:0:0] or whatever?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 09:46:57 am »

NW_Kohaku: I beieve you when you say that the texture thingy would be possible, but I'm a bit fuzzy on how you'd be able to do it with puny little 16X16 pixel tiles, or whatever size is the default. Unless there's a way to have a bunch of random pixels of the tile specked with a different color, defined in the raws? Like, [SPECK_COLOR:3:0:0] or whatever?

You simply use one tile as a mask for another.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 10:42:55 am »

Well, for graphics, I'd like to see the extra time spent to make materials keep their colors.

In an absolute moonshot ideal, however, I'd like to see each material have its own texture map, a separate graphic tile that acts as a mask on the actual item shape tile.  This would mean, for example, that marble, instead of just being white, could have a texture of white with brown flecks and streaks in it, and anything made of marble will appear as white with brown streaks in it. 

It's far from impossible to do, and it would greatly expand the graphical capacity of the game.
I'm not sure that would be terribly useful, because the images are so small. A brown streak on a chair the width of a leg might make it look like part of the leg's cut off or it's a wheel chair. Graphic designers would have to take care that their graphics look good with any material texture.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 11:10:27 am »

Well, for graphics, I'd like to see the extra time spent to make materials keep their colors.

In an absolute moonshot ideal, however, I'd like to see each material have its own texture map, a separate graphic tile that acts as a mask on the actual item shape tile.  This would mean, for example, that marble, instead of just being white, could have a texture of white with brown flecks and streaks in it, and anything made of marble will appear as white with brown streaks in it. 

It's far from impossible to do, and it would greatly expand the graphical capacity of the game.
I'm not sure that would be terribly useful, because the images are so small. A brown streak on a chair the width of a leg might make it look like part of the leg's cut off or it's a wheel chair. Graphic designers would have to take care that their graphics look good with any material texture.

I doubt many materials would need to be highly grainy - if nothing else, it allows each material to have their own distinct color.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 07:17:46 am »

Well making DF accept tiles up to 32*32 would be great too:) Will make it waaay more beatyfull:) And take 4 times RAM for graphics:)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 09:11:57 am »

Well making DF accept tiles up to 32*32 would be great too:) Will make it waaay more beatyfull:) And take 4 times RAM for graphics:)
Psst. It already does that :) You can even make tiles of 256x256 if you'd fancy.

No but seriously, look through Baughns posts, he's doing a whole lot for the appearance of the game, and he said he's working on a system to have everything defined by a seperate graphic.(And semi transparency, and more colours, and etcetera.) It's just that he's got a dayjob as well.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 [2]