Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about fun moving diagonally down/up a level.... (spoily context)  (Read 504 times)

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So...

I was digging for... fun stuff...

And popped open a hole, and heard all sorts of fun noises. So I blocked said hole with the miner who opened it (since he was right there...)

And so I was like, okay, all is good, I shall proceed to attack my pancreas with the sweet sweet candy...

And all of a sudden something gets through where it shouldn't...

Directly beneath an up/down staircase, there was solid stone. Adjacent to that solid stone was a mined-open area.

Side view:
Code: [Select]
!!FUN!!
######X######
#######*!!FUN!!
#############
Where X is the up-down staircase, # is walls, and the * is the adjacent space below. The moved from above to below at a diagonal, ruining what seemed to be a triumphant aversion of disaster and an exciting trip to the candy store. The exact diagram was simplified to specifically show the kind of acrobatics the circus was doing to ruin me. I knew you could move diagonally through corners horizontally, but the vertical thing I just wasn't prepared for...

Currently trying to avert disaster with a much closer-to-home blockage, but it's almost pointless at one frame per minute or so. If they stop moving when they get to the hopefully plugged hole, I suppose the framerate should drop and I can construct a massive cage trap hallway with GCS lined up along a fortification wall.

My question is, has anybody else noticed this vertical diagonal movement? (possibly a quirk of flying creatures?) I couldn't find anything, but it's not the easiest concept to think of search terms for...

Update: Framerate has picked up. Hole has been clogged. Fun is waiting under the floor...
Edit: I mean I really want that candy... I want to draw the fun stuff out and neutralize it in a controlled manner. Any recommended methods of shutting down (or quarantining) the circus AND getting the candy back?
Edit again: It seems they've packed themselves up in the top of my mineshaft... I could easily dig past them and block them in, with some careful burrowing and stockpiling to ensure quick blockage. Then I just go grab the candy and replug the entry to heck a little better. No fuss no muss... Can release them later when the fort gets too boring (but not before training my entire population).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:02:05 am by Tabbyman »
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So weird. It doesn't work for liquids, at least in 31.25. At least in my game. At least with a water cistern with channeled drains with a single floodgate keeping stuff back on the z level beneath.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:13:53 am by Viking »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

if they're all in one place, a controlled cave-in would do wonders
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

if they're all in one place, a controlled cave-in would do wonders

Good point. I was thinking of that. Either I go waaaay down and plug them in and hope they don't reach the new hole in time to stop me, or...

This is the shaft, for 19 z-levels down:
XX
XX

Everything above it is the same though. Will a cork made of stairs do the same thing?

Question is, will it kill them all with absolute certainty or will some survive resulting in an involuntary all-fortress party of a most unproductive sort? I'm expecting murphy's law to come into effect if I try a cave-in.

Spike traps are supposed to be very reliable, but I'm not looking forward to all the labour involved.

Plugging them in should be the easiest method. I always hit caverns and have to make hallways to go around, so it should take them longer to get to the intended position of my wall than it should take to build the wall from the time I crack open the hallway and they start pathing that way.

Then I can construct a way for an adventurer (equipped in candy of course) to open up the surprise.

Okay I've opened it up... Now for some slow-mo construction. 0 FPS...

Edit: The hole is now plugged. Took something like half an hour to do something that usually would have taken something like 10 seconds. And now they're wandering the hallways, safely tucked away (for now).

Nevermind... There's more of them coming up the hole now. ;) And I thought I'd have a chance to plug it up before more of them generated.

Aaaand.... Somehow one of my swordmasters managed to kill them before dying himself.

Trying to plug up the original hole to the circus.... with a raw adamantine wall 'cause that's the closest material. :P
Edit again: plugged. Safe. Until the next screw-up.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:15:11 am by Tabbyman »
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.