Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking for multiplayer games for crappy computers  (Read 11428 times)

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for multiplayer games for crappy computers
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 01:41:26 pm »

Armagetron Advanced, multiplayer, alright looking tron game.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 02:03:39 pm »

Hey, RTS. Warzone 2100. Totally free, bloody excellent, not too hard on the rig -- I've ran it on a 2gig ram, 2 ghz single core avec shitty integrated graphics card. Fairly sure it can run LAN, but can't double-check right now. Multiplayer is definitely solid, though.

Lemme nab a link quicklike. E: Here we go. Totally serious, this thing is one of the best RTSes ever released. Incredible game, especially when it was initially released.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:06:01 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 03:59:43 am »

warzone 2100 is nice
i believe the early command and conquer games are free
and C&C generals (definitely not free) is one of the best LAN RTS games of all time especially with the expansion and possibly mods

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 08:57:18 pm »

Command & Conquer was distributed as a magazine cover disc thing ages ago, so was Red Alert. They may even be free these days, but a legitimate disc copy can be bought pretty cheap from op-shops sometimes. I got both for 50c each a while ago just due to my nostalgic memories of playing RA for hours at my local computer shop (they used to do LAN parties once a week and ran a BBS).

If you can get them running (or Dosbox them) on your rigs, try Magic Carpet 1/2. A weird hybrid game of FPS and strategy in real-time. Really fun in multiplayer.
It's a game. Have fun.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 09:14:40 pm »

Added a few.

RE: DOSBox - any idea how to play games on a LAN? Does it work automagically as long as they use TCP/IP? I remember it was a pain back in the DOS days.

Also, what was the name of this game... it was AWESOME. You drove a tank, and you captured bases, but each base was like some metal floor and slots where you could build factories and defense towers, which then could produce smaller tanks and planes and help you conquer other bases, and so on. It was 3D but not very new so it didn't have all those flashy Shader.5.whatever effects and probably even ran OK without any hardware 3D acceleration :P

EDIT: I know it wasn't Battlezone (probably should look it up too, it also was an OK game), because instead of just making structures anywhere, you had like prefab bases with preset spaces where you could "plug in" structures and you didn't use any type of construction vehicle.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:25:29 pm by Sergius »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 09:32:45 pm »

I know the game you're talking about. It sounds like Herzog Zwei, but it's not. They made it with a similar feeling to that. From memory, quite a lot of people felt it was sort of linear in it's missions due to the fact that there was some things you HAD to do, in order, to stand a chance.

I played the demo. I can't remember the name, but I'll go through my old cover-disc collection. If it's what I'm thinking of, scouts were really good in that game.

Oh, and grab a Sega Genesis (Megadrive) emulator and play Herzog Zwei. It's a great little split screen game where you command units in real-time. Only two player, but still pretty cool. My pentium 200 ran it fine. If you don't mind clustering around one computer and setting up some keys for each player, grab a NES emulator and a copy of M.U.L.E as well. There's nothing better than a resource back-stab or a smithore monopoly in an office environment.
It's a game. Have fun.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 09:42:35 pm »

Found it! It was "Uprising: Join or Die"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voFJgkT0nys

You had "citadels" which had a kinda big building in the middle (a cannon tower?) and if you destroyed it you claimed the whole place.

Game was pretty addictive even in single player, the way you sort of just conquered more bases and reinforced them, going forward and once in a while going back to help defend them.

EDIT: crap... apparently is either too old or wants 3DFX... haven't tried it on my modern comp, guess I'll need to test it before adding it.

Also, Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising looks like a similar FPS/RTS hybrid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPrcJ7Zso4o

Anyone played it?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:50:56 pm by Sergius »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 09:52:46 pm »

Probably way too old-skool as well, but find an updated version of Rampart. There's definately three player versions about of the original, there's probably even more multi-player versions about. Even fully 3d wizz-bang ones.

It's a nice little game where you can run a mini-playoff-league for in under 1/2 an hour. Artillery, tetris, building, strategy, pre-emptive reflexes. Have a quick go and see if it'd fill an arvo or two as mini-league play. Rampart is a suprisingly good time-waster in an office.

There's probably a million versions of it. It's not deep, but it is fun.
It's a game. Have fun.

Nulzilcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 07:31:27 am »

BEHOLD!

...alright, so maybe it doesn't look very impressive. However, for my money Age of Wonders can't be beat in the Battle for Westnoth-esque TBS category (maybe a little too much micromanagement for your taste). If you do decide to try this I'd stick with the smaller maps so people don't take too long with their turns, bog the game down and chew up the whole lunch hour moving their mans.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 08:13:05 am »

That reminds me...

Urban Assault and Return Fire (2).

UA - Each player controlls a floating fortress that can spawn units and buildings (power plants and gun encampments) power plants generate power based on territory you control... a bit complicated but it boils down to keeping as much terrain as you can under your controll.

RF - Up to 16 players (at least from what i know) each controling a underground vehicle hangar, carrier and a multitude of flag towers surrounded by various fortifications and utility structures (AA missile silos, missile towers walls gas stations ammo stockpiles)
and the goal is to find the enemy flag and bring it to your base with a jeep.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 09:35:22 am »

Doom/Doom 2.......

CHAAAIIINNNGUN!  :P

Anyways. For FPS, the original halo/halo 2 are both on the computer, and they are still highly played online.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.
Pages: 1 [2]