Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Confusing artifact?  (Read 655 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Confusing artifact?
« on: May 26, 2012, 07:35:04 pm »

Hey. I had a dwarf go to a crafting workshop and make an artifact. took him ages to do it, and you would think he was trying to strip the fortress of stone(not a bad thing) anyway, when he finally finished, i looked at the artifact and this came up......
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is this normal? it goes on for quite some time below that. It hasn't happened to me before.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Confusing artifact?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 07:38:24 pm »

Was he in a burrow? This happens when dwarves claim things but the workshop they claimed isn't in their burrow IIRC. The things they claim then don't count, so they keep collecting them until eventually something changes or they go mad, resulting in huge artifact like this one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 07:42:43 pm »

yes i think he was in a burrow...so does that mean that to stop him from going crazy i would have to get rid of the burrow or kick him out of it? Just for future reference
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 07:57:53 pm »

Just unassign him from any burrows and I think it fixes the problem. You might also need to remove the burrow from the workshop for some workshops as well, I haven't personally experienced this bug yet so I'm not sure if that is required as well or not.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 08:08:00 pm »

Yup, that'll work. On a similar note, by putting the dwarf into a burrow, you can get it to clean out an area of stone and/or control what the artifact's made out of.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 08:20:08 pm »

I wonder... if this type of thing happened but instead of stone it was for gems or something, would it jack up the value of the artifact? might be a useful bug to exploit:/
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 09:04:02 pm »

This is what is called a Planepacked artifact (also "quantum artifact" and "mega-artifact"), named after the first artifact to show such a ridiculous accumulation of materials and images.  The end of that wiki article explains how they are created.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.